Supermarket stories

marie26November 4, 2005

I was at my local supermarket "Super 1" and caught an error at the cash register which the cashier corrected. On the way out, I was looking over my receipt and found another mistake. I was charged full price for a sale item. I went back to the customer service counter and I was given back the full cost of the item

I was told by 2 persons at the customer service counter that the scanning person was out sick so mistakes happen. I said back to one that perhaps they should have a sign that warned people to be extra careful of their prices on days without this person. Also, the store assistant manager told me that the store's policy is to give you the item for free should they charge you a wrong price. This surprised me because I had never been given the full price back for any of their previous mistakes.

So, it pays to check your prices and find out the store's policy from management.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg_in_mi

Here in Michigan we have the "scanning law". If you are overcharged and the price on the item is lower than the one scanned, they must give you the difference back PLUS 10 times the amount of the overcharge up to $5. But, don't tell them at the register, because they can just change the price and no "scanning reward".
I was overcharged on garbage bags by 50 cents. That meant a return of my 50 cent overcharge plus a $5 "reward". To top it off, they had to give it to me again one month later, no one had fixed it! If the stores want to pay me to shop, then fine!
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 9:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
budster

We have one store which honors the "you get the item for free" policy.....most others will give you the money you were overcharged back....the excuse I hear most often is "the guy hasn't gotten the sale price into the computer yet". I agree it pays to check your saleslip...and if possible before you leave the store (so you don't have to drive back).

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
What about saving money when renovating?
Does anyone have any tips for that?
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
Sponsored Products
Varaluz Bathroom Lighting Line Up! 2-Light Brushed Nickel Bath Vanity Light
Home Depot
Firefly Four-Light Chrome Finish with Micro-Texture Glass Bath Fixture
$135.00 | Bellacor
Authentic Models 8H in. Empress Reading Glass - AC095
$104.00 | Hayneedle
Soprano Sateen Fitted Sheet
$145.00 | FRONTGATE
15" x 108" Runner
$59.90 | Horchow