Need some imput

barb_roselover_inFebruary 23, 2010

I have been doing quite a bit of alterations lately. I let all of my own stuff go while DH was so very sick. I have a heavy jacket which had a standup collar. It came too far up on my neck (I hope I can make you understand what happened). I cut it down and am now ready to re-affix this collar. It is heavyweight material. I really need to take some of the thickness out of this because I don't think my machine can handle it. Are there any tips as far as perhaps affixing hem tape or something of a lighter weight to the seam allowances and put the collar back on without it being very noticeable? I worry that you won't understand what I am getting at but don't know how to describe the situation any better. - Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Separate the collar parts and sew on the machine, just the outside of the collar to the jacket. Then turn the inside seam line of the collar under, and press so you have a neat fold. Then blind stitch--sometimes called slip stitch by hand the inside of the collar to the jacket.

If you don't know how to blind stitch this is how. Attach the thread in the fold. Bring your thread out right on your pressed fold line. Take a small stitch in the jacket right on the sewing line where you sewed on the outside collar. Then into the fold on the fold line. Run the thread along in the fold a little bit, then out of the fold on the fold line, and take another stitch in the jacket. Your stitches are running parallel to the sewn seam line and should be small and even.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
Sewing eyelet material onto T shirt to make it longer?
The eyelet material is not stretch. Of course the T...
hobby_libby
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Sponsored Products
Sausalito Rug
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Mini Square Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Rosaline Pink Crystal a
$150.00 | Bellacor
Sunnydaze Round Steel Outdoor Fire Pit Wood Grate, 40 Inch Diameter
SerenityHealth
Vintage Hammered Beverage Dispenser With Scroll Style Stand
Classic Hostess
Area Rug: Gardenia Lifestyle Collection Ivory Black 3' x 3' Round
$69.97 | Home Depot
Christopher Knight Home Crown Top Dark Grey Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Justice Design Group CNDL-8924 - Modular 4 Light Bath Bar - Square Flared Shade
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Daisy Cupcake Cake - MULTI COLORS
$180.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™