Water getting filled up in backyard

pmysore1August 21, 2012

Hi All,

I am trying to evaluate whether below situation is really an issue.

Please let me know your suggestions.

1) In our backyard we recently built a flagstone patio on a concrete base.

2) Patio length is 25 ft from the back walls.

3) We had two water sprouts that got buried below the stone patio and draining water out well beyond the patio perimeters

4) Patio is built on pretty good gradient level (Our backyard has a good slope). Patio has a seating wall on the far end of the patio.

5) There is small water pipe (half inch) through the seating wall to drain out water from the patio surface

5) We are in the process of making flower beds just on the perimeter on the far end the patio just behind the seating wall.

6) As we were digging, after about 1 1/2 feet, I saw water oozing out and filling half feet up the hole. Day before digging we had heavy rains in the area and soil is very clay.

7) I emptied the water from the hole and went back to see it. Again I saw half feet of water. I emptied the water again.

8) I repeated this 5 or 6 times and probably have emptied about 10 gallons of water.

1. Right above the place where I dug, the patio water gets drained out via a half inch pipe.

2. I dug another hole 4 feet away from first hole and I did not see any water. Second hole is slight on a upper slope.

Should I be concerned with this water getting filled up in the whole?

Will it cause any future drainage issues?

Any possible damage to the patio?

Is it a good idea to put plants in that area?

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks

-Pradeep

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

What is a water sprout? Do you have a septic system in the yard?

You could have a leak in a water line, a high water table or it could just be an area that doesn't drain well. How much rain did you have the day before?

I would leave the hole open for a few days and see if the water continues to collect. If it starts drying up, then I would suggest using plants in that area that like wet feet.
If it continues to collect water you need to identify where it's coming from. A water line, or sprinkler line, may have been damaged during the patio build.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
How to safely pull down attic stairs in 12' ceiling
Hello all, I am buying a house with 12' ceilings and...
ricewalker
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
Need advice for gap under door frame
Hi, We had a contractor install pre-hung interior doors,...
pam27d2001
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™