Spotted a simple gift today........

budsterNovember 20, 2006

A glass bottle of cocoa (think of an empty large size soya sauce bottle), and a couple of shakers with "cinnamon sugar" and "confectioner sugar" on the labels(large spice jar type bottles ) ..... this whole thing of three simple items was on SALE....for a wonderous price of $l9.99 .....it didn't name any exotic type or brand of cocoa just "cocoa" and as for the sugars...well they seem pretty straight forward. A combination of these with a mug and inside a basket (both of which are available in abundance at the dollar store).....well with bulk cocoa powder and homemade sugars...I know I can do this easily for just a few dollars. I am sure someone will buy the expensive item but for me.....I'll go for the low cost EVERYTIME.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftfetish

I love these sorts of things. $2 worth of merchandise and $2 worth of packaging = $97 retail. So much easier to steal their idea and make it yourself for the original $4.

I'm hoping to have a heavily handmade and affordable holiday season. I've been posting ideas on my blog, but would love to hear what others have come up with.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 2:32PM
azzalea

Was thrilled to find a cute gift at the Christmas Tree Shoppes--an adorable mug (with a cow painted on it) with a packet of Cocoa inside, cello-wrapped--3/$1. Figure I'll add a little bag of marshmallows and a chocolate spoon and it will make a nice 'little' extra for the teens I'm giving gift certificates to.

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 3:31PM
joyfulguy

Can anyone here spell "Gap"?

How about going into business for yourself - markup over 1,000%.

Get a good filtering system.

Get some plastic bottles.

Run municipal water from your tap through the filter.

Into the bottles.

Sell the filled bottles for $1.00 each ...

... or, if you don't want to be greedy - 50 cents.

That's what Coke, Pepsi, Danone, Nestle, et al. do.

Municipal water in almost all areas is more stringently and more frequently tested than bottled water.

Have yourselves a happy week, everyone.

ole joyful

P.S. We bi!ch about the price of gas ...

... but nary a peep about the price of bottled water!!

Human beings are reasonable?

Who says so?

o j

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 5:39PM
grainlady_ks

I can't believe someone would spend $19.99 (even on sale) for cocoa powder and sugar....!!!!!!!!! But the idea is a good one for those of us who can do it for pennies.

I've been making flavored cocoa mixes for years and giving it in all kinds of inexpensive containers (usually bought at the end-of-Christmas sales) as part of our traditional homemade baskets/trays/bags/cups/jars of food for friends and family. I guess this year I'll have to add a shaker of cinnamon sugar and confectioners' sugar to punch it up a bit... I have a source for mini-marshmallows that I've also added to the cocoa mix.

I also paint a primative skinny snowman with a black tophat onto the top 1/3 of a long cinnamon stick and tie a short piece of fabric (usually a small woven plaid fabric - ripped into strips so it has a ragged look) around the snowman's neck to look like a scarf. These make great swizzle sticks for cocoa or cider.

Thanks for sharing the new twist on an old favorite.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Which smartphone for PagePlus?
Looking for help for my first smartphone purchase,...
wonderinginnh
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
credit card question
I have a large amount of credit card debt from various...
christians1
Savings achieved in daily household routine
When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow,...
joyfulguy
hail damage
is it necessary to have hail damage insurance in MN...
stoveguyy
Sponsored Products
Caruso 22" Woven Bamboo Standard Oar Blade Set by Fanimation Fans
$269.00 | Lumens
New Unique Tribal Kazak 8' X 11' Hand Knotted Red Wool Rug Mesa Collection H3669
BH Sun Inc
Fascination Mini Pendant
Lightology
Paula Deen Down Home Lemonade Stand Oatmeal Wood End Table - 192804
$485.00 | Hayneedle
Kaula Grey and Orange 18 x 18 Geometric Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Hopson Single Arm Chaise - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™