Restaurant gift certificates

agnesdNovember 10, 2003

I'm going to a restaurant with another couple. I have a gift certificate to this restaurant. I think it would be tacky if we paid with a gift certificate. My husband thinks it's OK since no one cares how you pay the bill, it's the same as using a credit card to him. I'd rather use it when just the 2 of us are there. What do you think? We live in New York, where we receive one bill and we share the cost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trekaren

As long as you participate in the tip, I don't see any problem whatsoever!

Bookmark   November 11, 2003 at 8:01AM
maxwell

I fully agree with you that the GC should be saved for a private occasion.. It would be tacky to use it while the other couple pays with cash or credit. Logic says it shouldn't make any diffference, but I can tell you that, in reality, it would make a very negative impression. Possibly, if the other couple are VERY close friends, it might be OK, but I wouldn't even think of doing it if they're not.

Bookmark   November 11, 2003 at 11:05AM
noodlesportland

oh my i really could care less if my friends used a gc or if they paid cash--i would care that they tipped ok and it is always nice--if your can--- to say we have this gc so we would love to buy the wine - or dessert-or whatever. why go out if they are not friends in the first place. it is an opportunity to be generous--even on a budget.

Bookmark   November 11, 2003 at 10:48PM
maxwell

Yes, if you can subsidize part of their meal, it could come out fine. In other words, you're "sharing" the gift certificate with them. If you can't do that, then I think you should save it for a private dinner.

Bookmark   November 12, 2003 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
Black clothesline. Anyone seen one?
Hi, I need a black clothesline. The only thing I can...
faithab
kitchen sink size???
What is the best size for a kitchen sink? I am thinking...
abekker
Harvest forum
There is a forum in the garden web called harvest that...
sewcrazynurse
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™