HELP!!!! Toilet rocking and leaking around base.

vldmAugust 6, 2009

My husband has tried to fix our toilet several times. We even had someone else to come in to fix it. It would be fine for a couple of hours then the rocking would start again. Then the leaking would begin. I am tired of cleaning up urine and my bathroom smelling like a sewer. This all started when the old flange broke. The person we called the last time cleaned around the drain pipe (which is in concrete) to ensure the flange was flush against the floor. The toilet was fine for a while then started to rock from back to front a little. Then eventually from side to side. I am guessing by then the wax ring broke. My husband is ready to go by a whole new toilet to see if that will work. Please help!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Is the old flange still broken?

Did the toilet work fine until the flange broke?

Are the mounting screws properly contained in the flange?

Is the floor level(even) where the toilet sits?

If the flange is still broken, it must be replaced. Replacing the flange will take care of the mounting bolt problem.

If the floor is unlevel(uneven), there are shims(I recommend the plastic ones) sold at home improvement/hardware/plumbing stores to install to stop the unlevelness.

The only other thingt of which I can think is that the old wax ring/funnel assembly was not removed, causing the tiolet base to sit too high on the new(succeeding) wax rings and cause the rocking.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 12:54PM
drywall_diy_guy

There is an alternative to the wax ring you might want to try as well. A friend of mine that manages apartments told me they work great. See the LINK below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax Free Gasket

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 4:24PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Mac is right -- the flange must be replaced and the floor flat. Shim the toilet so it doesn't rock if necessary.

I've used the "wax free" devices that Drywall Guy suggested. They do work but the basics need to be right as well.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 10:01AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

One word "plumber"

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 5:25AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I ment to add if all else fails

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 5:27AM
More Discussions
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Jacking house up
Ok the first time I posted in wrong place. I'm going...
music9704
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™