underlining for fax fur (faux fur)--what to use?

talley_sue_nycJanuary 28, 2014

I'm thinking of making my DD a fur vest using a fake fur she really loved the feel of.

What would I use for an underlining?

I'm thinking the basic lining material I can get for $2/yd is too thin.

Would I want a medium weight?

But I think I would want something shiny/smooth, not a broadcloth, yes?

Would I want a plain satin? or charmeuse? And woven, not knit, right?

Guidance please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blubird

I assume you're talking about fabric for >>liningAs for lining for a faux fur piece I would suggest something silky like a heavier weight satin or charmeuse. No broadcloth, no rayon lining and definitely not a knit. Since the wrong side of the fur is probably a knit, you want something to smoothly glide over that side and you want a little heavier weight to keep the lining smooth and neat.

Helene

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 12:18AM
ruthieg__tx

You can buy lining fabric that isn't too thin and I would just select a nice smooth medium weight lining..and yes woven......I bought a beautiful fax fur throw to use for a gift and ended up not using it so I am going to use it to make a couple of vests. It is already lined with a nice silky lining ....I'm going to use it and some bias binding to finish it...

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 2:50PM
talley_sue_nyc

I do know the difference between underlining and lining; you'd want the same fabric for either.

A few of the blogs, etc., I'd read about working w/ faux fur used the term underlining--I thought perhaps that was to provide a certain amount of stability for the knit. And I'd figured I'd cover the seam allowances with a Hong Kong bias of the lining material.

But it does make sense that a lining would let me use it as a facing, to finish off the edges at the armholes, neck, and front.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 9:17AM
evaf555

For something as quickly outgrown as a kid's vest, I wouldn't bother to underline. I'd line it with denim, and not use the lining pattern. I'd cut the denim out of the vest pattern.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 11:39AM
talley_sue_nyc

She's not a kid--she's 19.
I don't think she'll be outgrowing anything anymore.

And denim is REALLY thick--I really wouldn't want that involved in a faux fur vest that is supposed to be sort of dressy. It would be really stiff, and the vest wouldn't drape prettily. Denim is rough, so it wouldn't slide easily over clothes.

And I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to try sew both thick faux fur AND tough denim.

That just seems like a really weird match--denim and faux fur. And denim as a lining for anything seems really weird; it's much more customary to have the lining be a lighter fabric. Denim's about the heaviest fabric I can think of.

I thought all vests were lined simply using the vest pattern itself. That had always been my plan.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
a cutting table surface perhaps using foam
i'm creating my own pinnable cutting table with a 4X8...
mineemee
Upper Thread will not pick up Bobbin Thread.
Hi, I have a Brother XL3100 and the upper thread will...
sweetnlow
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Sponsored Products
Pre-owned Cranberry Harvesting Scoop From Maine
$475.00 | Chairish
AF Lighting Elements Glass & Silver Table Lamp
$258.00 | LuxeDecor
Silver Tiffany Table Lamp
$254.00 | Bellacor
Foscarini | Diesel Glas Grande Suspension Lamp
YLiving.com
Foscarini | Tropico Bell Suspension Lamp
YLighting
Designers Fountain 97386 Austin 6 Light Chandelier in Weathered Saddle Finish Mu
$438.00 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II Gentleman's Chest in Silver Pearl...
Great Furniture Deal
Pott 36 - 20pc Set - Pott
$1,500.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™