Repairing rotten T-111 siding

dukes909August 23, 2013

I have a shed that sits on a concrete slab. There was some miscommunication between the contractor and I when the grading was done and foundation and slab was poured and so the bottom of the siding (T-111 plywood) sits too close to the ground. Rains splash the bottom and over the years the plywood is rotting away. It's time to do something about it but I'm not sure what.

I don't like the idea of replacing all of the sheets in their entirety when only the bottom 5 - 7" are damaged. I found this page: (see link attached) which shows cutting the damaged sections out and replacing with a piece of Z flashing and then more siding.

This seems ok but predestined to rot again in time. Is there a better way? I am thinking instead of cutting out the damaged section and replacing with a piece of the largest 1 or 2 x treated material I can find. Is this a good/bad idea? Not sure how to make it line up at the joining of the siding and lumber so that water doesn't wick back up into the siding.

Other ideas?
Thanks,
Dukeseter

Here is a link that might be useful: Repairing rotten siding link

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Treated material will rot just the same if is constantly wet like that. I would get a pc of Fibercement T1-11 type material and replace the bottom piece just as you speak of using the "z" flashing as well.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 11:56AM
millworkman

Treated material will rot just the same if is constantly wet like that. I would get a pc of Fibercement T1-11 type material and replace the bottom piece just as you speak of using the "z" flashing as well.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 11:58AM
energy_rater_la

exactly what I was thinking millworkman!

I was looking at smart side by LP the other day..
a cement board siding that is actually less
expensive than T-111. I was amazed!

use the 30 lb felt, Z flashing (great stuff) caulk well
and paint when done.

best of luck.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
Help With Siding Repair
I have a problem which is ... this: That is a slat...
justme4now
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™