Help Solve Tub/Shower Water Leak

auggie1020August 4, 2010

Hi all:

House built 2 years ago. Whenever someone showers in the bonus room bathroom the water apparently bounces off the person hits the wall that the shower head is on, drops down, then runs along the crack where the wall and tub meet and runs out onto the floor. There is a lot of water. This does not happen when the shower is running without someone showering so I am pretty certain that the source of the water is from it bouncing off the person showering and the cause is that the tub was not installed correctly so water on the edge will NOT flow into the tub but rather along the wall and onto the floor. Has anyone else dealt with this before and can offer some sage advice. I am trying to avoid a splash shield. PS. Tightly closing the shower curtain provides no relief because the leaking water is a tight bead that runs along were the tub meets the wall.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

I think the most simple attempt at a quick fix would be to make a dam at the inside edge of the tub from the wall with clear Bath and Kitchen silicon caulk. That should channel the water back into the tub before it gets to the outside of the tub.

The more secure and longer lasting fix would be to install a sliding shower door.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 10:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I'd check the caulk along the top of the tub. If water is getting in back of it ther or in the corner, it will run to the floor as you describe.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
Asbestos in Popcorn Ceiling/ worried sick
Hi. My house was built in the late 60s and I recently...
mogley966
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
Insulating an inaccessible crawl space?
My 1940s bungalow style house sits on a crawl space...
blessedbe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™