Is this possible?

barb_roselover_inJanuary 22, 2014

It's getting to where I am between a rock and a hard place. Since JoAnns moved out of town an d Walmart has next to nothing for sewing in their store ( I could not even get a pin cushion), I am really having a hard time with this. No way can I drive out of town. Anyway, I have a favorite jacket which I would like to make a pattern from. Is this possibe and what kind of paper could I see through to use a marker and make one? Patterns not available--none that I want. Mostly only the craft ones.

Also, they don't even have shoulder pads. Could I make my own? I have a separated shoulder and need something. Thanks whenever somebody answers. Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

You could use newsprint; is there a newspaper near you that prints their own paper, so you can get it before it gets ink on it?

You can make the pattern without a marker--lots of the directions I've found online have you using a pin to make holes in the paper.

http://voices.yahoo.com/diy-sewing-pattern-existing-851905.html?cat=24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHqMZEx968

This lady used wax paper; you can use parchment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAt0FOwxlQg

I've used tissue paper from the gift-wrap section (though it tears easily). It's only a little thinner than regular pattern tissue.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 10:33PM
barb_roselover_in

I hope somebody answers this as I want to get this done. When you copy the pattern, how do you take care of the darts without tearing it apart? Please. Barb

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:31AM
ruthieg__tx

Barb, If you can lay out your jacket, you can probably tell how much is allowed for the dart other than that. you might just have to guess or if the fit is loose enough, just leave the dart off...If you have say a blouse pattern with a dart, estimate..

For making patterns, I use an old bedsheet or a piece of fabric that I have bought for the purpose of trying a pattern for fit. Generally this fabric is referred to as muslin or for making a muslin but it can be any kind of inexpensive fabric...The Wal-mart $1 table is where alot of mine came from....... It's easier to work with than paper...but any kind of paper you have including gift wrap will work...I have used freezer paper many times...You will be doing a lot of feeling to make the pattern along with using your eyes to sight the lines. I don't really like newspaper but sometimes you have no choice...buy yourself a roll of brown wrapping paper at the store and use that...what ever you have locally and can get your hands on will work just fine...

I don't see why you couldn't make your own shoulder pads..should be easy....don't forget though that there are online resources for ordering anything you need.

Good luck with your jacket...

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:08AM
donnar57

I've successfully copied patterns using sew-on interfacing, which would be available online. It's very durable! Tissue paper is great if you only want a pattern to use once (such as on a growing child). But it tears very easily.

Donna

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 12:20PM
kathi_mdgd

I've used the blank paper from the newspaper here in town,also have used waxed paper,parchment,and press and sea,with a pen or sharpie.,you can also go on Line to cutrate crafts and order some cheap interfacing,i like that very much as you can fold and unfold it many times with n o problems.Hope you find something that works for you.
Kathi

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 11:32PM
barb_roselover_in

Kathi, what is press and sea with a pen or sharpie. Is cutrate crafts a company, website or what? Thanks Barb

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 4:40PM
msmeow

Barb, Press & Seal is found in the grocery store with the plastic wrap. It has a sticky side which you can use several times. I use it to trace quilting motifs then stick it in position on the quilt top and stitch through it.

You can use a ball point pen or Sharpie to trace your design on the Press & Seal.

Donna

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:45AM
barb_roselover_in

Thank you so much, Donna. You are a lifesaver with this good tip. Because of our bad weather (school out again today),my son is doing my grocery shopping for me, but when I can hit the road again, I will shop for this. Barb

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
bernina activa 131
Hi, There is a Bernina Activa 131 that has come up...
melaniejo
Sewing eyelet material onto T shirt to make it longer?
The eyelet material is not stretch. Of course the T...
hobby_libby
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | Rituals 3 Table Lamp
$637.00 | YLighting
Otto Fan by Stadler Form
$199.99 | Lumens
Embassy Satin Nickel LED One Light 4.5-Inch Wall Sconce
$270.00 | Bellacor
P.T. Support Rail Floor Mast
Signature Hardware
Alexis Bueno 'Bueno Exchange XXVIII' Canvas Diptych Art Print
Overstock.com