Where to send soaps/shampoo?

xminionNovember 8, 2012

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone had a venue that accepts soaps and shampoo (the little samples you get in the room)?

Global Soap Project won't accept from individuals. I have been giving them to a local women's shelter, and disaster relief efforts. Any other places?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sofla

I'd like to know this too. Remodeling a bath and couldn't believe how much I accumulated.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:39PM
sofla

I'd like to know this too. Remodeling a bath and couldn't believe how much I accumulated.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:40PM
emma

Try homeless shelters. I went through mine and picked the most exotic ones and put in a huge shallow champagne glass. I stuck a flower in one side and it look nice and unusual. I set it on the basement bathroom vanity for guests to use.

I gave the rest to my niece is on a tight budget.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 9:23PM
jak1

I think it is great that you want to donate these things instead of just pitching them, but if you can't find anyone to take them, try keeping the little bottles of shampoo in your laundry area. Great for dabbing a little on stains, expecially oily ones on placemats or napkins. Also you can rub those little soaps on stains . Shampoo is also good in soap dispensers, near the kitchen sink, mixed half and half with water, for washing your hands or even the dishes. Running your fingernails over a leftover bar of soap before gardening can make cleaning up your hands later a breeze and you don't have ridges left in the "real" bar of soap in the bathroom. I keep the little bars in the garden shed with my garden gloves :)

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 9:18AM
LexiF

Great tips for using them as stain remover, thank you Jak1.
I do like the idea of using the samples for a more altruistic purpose

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 5:28AM
jannie

Local charities should be happy to pick them up. I used to sell Avon, I had loads of "samples" (shampoo,conditioner,tiny single use lipsticks,tiny vials of colognes,etc) which I donated to my local "birthright" charity. They were very happy to accept them.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 9:12AM
azzalea

We all know someone serving in Afghanistan--many of those guys are seriously in need right now. A friend's husband is on a base where they've closed the base store--they now have NO access to buy anything--they'd be delighted to get a box of shampoos, soaps, shampoo, etc. And since they're not getting breakfast these days, if you send a box over, it wouldn't hurt to toss in a few boxes of granola bars, some dried fruit, etc.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:08AM
tesmith

Local Food Pantries will usually welcome these items and much more.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:32AM
Sandy16

I pour the shampoo bottles into an empty standard size shampoo bottle and we use it.

The soaps can be used for homemade laundry detergent, melted for liquid hand soap or shower gel- add water, used as stain bars for laundry.

The mouthwash bottles - toilet bowl cleaner or bug spray on decks, base of house, etc.

Conditioner - dilute with vinegar and use as fabric softner.

Left overs I keep until I have a large box full then donate to a local homeless shelter with shower facilities. They are always happy to get them.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 12:23PM
jrueter

our USO will also take them: they keep a supply in the restrooms with a note letting the servicemembers know they are free to take whatever they need. Often servicemembers are stranded at these locations when travelling, and having supplies to freshen up really helps!

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
TomNewEngland
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
Food preserving
We all know vacuum packing food preserves it without...
Curt D'Onofrio
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
Saving money when using an air condiioner or dehumidifier
This will actually save you money only if you pay for...
joyfulguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™