Buying corian overstock

SquareDarlingsAugust 15, 2011

I am shopping for corian. The kind I like - Slate - is running around $70/sq ft. I found overstock pieces at solidsurface.com for $20/sq ft. A significant savings. Has anyone ever bought overstock corian? I'd appreciate any advice. Worries I'm having are:

Would overstock pieces match or would they be slightly different in color variation?

Can I find an installer in my area to work with the corian?

I live in Geneva NY - about an hour outside of Rochester and Syracuse.

I hope someone can help - let me know!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Solid surface can be worked with woodworking tools, and if you have an experienced carpenter and don't need to do a seam or undermount sink, you can probably have him do a simple countertop with no built up edge (the normal process). If you need anything more advanced than a tooled slab, then you need the services of a shop and a certified fabricator.

Purchasing from solidsurface is designed for the skilled DIYer or the experienced pro who is no longer associated with a shop. You're not going to find a certified fabricator to work with scraps, or even whole sheets that you purchase. Corian certifies their fabricators personally, and they will all work for firms who gave you the $70 quote. Part of the profit is in them purchasing the material. And if a fabricator is no longer associated with a shop, you have to wonder why.

If you can't DIY the job, then even getting the slabs for free is useless to you.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
foul intermittent smell somewhere?????
So here's our problem. We have lived in our house for...
curtzilla
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
pbx2
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™