musty odour from crawlspace

andre_zAugust 18, 2009

There is a strong musty odour emanating from the crawl space of our house, especially on humid days. The crawl space is about 3 feet high with a concrete floor. Ventilation is probably insufficient because the house is surrounded on two sides with a concrete verandah which makes cross ventillation impossible.

The area is relatively clean. I did notice black sooty spots on the white electrical wires... (Is there a way to include photos on this forum?)

A heating contractor suggested spraying with a weak solution of bleach with a garden sprayer. Are there better short and long term solutions ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron6519

The side that isn't blocked should be used to ventilate the space. Open two areas,as far apart as possible and install an exhaust fan set up to a humidistat. The other opening will be the intake as well as an additional vent into the living space.
In the winter, close off the openings.
Ron

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 5:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alphonse

Ron's solution would be the best. A short term solution might be getting a dehumidifier, as the dampness is causing the "sooty spot" & the reason to have the humidistat in the fan circuit.

Use of bleach is a one-shot deal, very short term.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
Drywall issues?
I have noticed a spot above a window that has been...
deandiamond
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Curtain Rods
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so my apologies...
newquilter
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™