Replacing odd trim on roof gables?

measure_twiceAugust 31, 2012

What can I use to trim this gable end?

The roofers for the previous owner trimmed the gable end with 12" wide hardboard (Masonite), which of course completely rotted in a few years.

The exposed siding is T-11 which leaves grooves behind the aluminum flashing. Not good. So they put thin board from the higher roof overlapping the flashing. It was a smooth, clean solution.

I cannot find thin board that is PVC or composite.

- The space tapers from 8" at the ridge to 10 1/2" at the eaves because of a slightly different roof pitch.

- the shingles extend 2" beyond the original siding

Some options I have considered

- 3/4" x 11" x 8' thick composite board cut to fit, join the 8' lengths.

- 1/2" thick treated plywood. Does that stuff take paint?, trimmed with 5" wide composite board

- 1/2" x 4' x 8' Azec sheet composite, which is $100 per sheet, ripped and cut to fit, trimmed out with Azec composite or PVC 5" wide

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think if you used extra nails and sealant you could apply the same asphalt shingles to it and be done. Strips of grace Ice & water shield would be a good idea too, under the shingles.
Look up shingling vertical surfaces.

    Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 5:32PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
Sponsored Products
Finish Molding
CliqStudios Cabinets
Alamo Saddlery Tooled Black Spanish Lacing Headstall - 2608-T(31)
$93.50 | Hayneedle
Newburyport Cottage Birdhouse
$84.99 | zulily
INSPIRE Q Albury Two-Tone Lounging Chair with Ottoman
Resort White Cabana Tote
$178.00 | Horchow
Square Modern Shower System
Fabbian | Roofer F12A01 Pendant Light
$703.80 | YLighting
Copper Mansion Bird House - Green Whitewash with Bright Copper Roof
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™