Bobbin problems with a new-to-me Elna

banana10January 3, 2010

Greetings!

I am the proud new owner of an 1974 Elna SU! I haven't used a sewing machine in over 15 years but I really think its the machine and not me that is the problem. The top thread will not pick-up the bottom thread. I have adjusted, oiled, thread and re-thread changed the needles, read and re-read the manual, spun and respun the bobbin thread. Can someone please tell me if the machinery around the bobbin should be moving at all when I turn the fly wheel toward me in an attemp to pick up the bottom thread? There nothing spinning or moving the bobbin thread at all. The machine sounds great and has obviously been cared for over the years.

Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Without knowing your machine I would give a qualified guess that yes the bobbin case should move. There may be a broken part in the case. I think this is something that you have to take it to a repair shop for. The good news is that it shouldn't cost much to repair

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 9:56PM
nanny98

That Elna is quite possibly the greatest "old" machine. The bobbin mechanism should move around the bobbin. I would take it to an Elna dealer and have an estimate on the cost of repairing it. Some parts are quite pricy to replace...I don't think that part is. Good Luck....and I hope you have many years of sewing with it. Nanny

Bookmark   January 4, 2010 at 12:03AM
nanny98

A second thought. Have you removed the bobbin holder/case and tried, by turning the flywheel, to see if the mechanism will move..turn. If there IS one fault with this machine, it is that it easily gets threads jammed into the race of the machanism. Check closley for any tiny thread...turn slowly, use tweezers if you find any. Hope this is the problem. Nanny

Bookmark   January 4, 2010 at 12:15AM
mary_c_gw

Another thought - have you disengaged the bobbin winder clutch completely?

Bookmark   January 4, 2010 at 11:29AM
melle_sacto

I have a similar machine, not exactly sure of the year. I agree about threads easily getting caught in the mechanism. I don't know what the parts are called, but take off both covers (the cover over the bobbin and the cover over the other portion), blow all the dust out (if there is any), and pull out any threads you might see w/a pair of tweezers. Jammed threads can make everything seem frozen.

If that doesn't help, definitely have the machine serviced!

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 12:27AM
ohiojudy

My first thought is that maybe you're putting the bobbin in backwards. I bought an Elna a few years ago and the thing that seemed strangest to me is that the bobbin had to go into the case unwinding from the right, all my other machines, Viking, Kenmore and Singer the bobbin went in the other way. Just a thought.

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 4:13PM
budster

Bananna 10 - are you still around? I have the same machine. Is your problem fixed?

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Sewing eyelet material onto T shirt to make it longer?
The eyelet material is not stretch. Of course the T...
hobby_libby
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Sponsored Products
Kenroy Home Lamps Bobbin 2 Pack 29 in. Dark Graphite Table Lamp Set 21070DGR
Home Depot
Lil Sew & Sew 100 pc. Sewing Kit - FS092
$14.99 | Hayneedle
Bobbin Satin Nickel One-Light Table Lamp with Red Shade
$63.95 | Bellacor
Kenroy Home Lamps 31 in. Wood Grain Table Lamp 32587WDG
Home Depot
Serena & Lily Bobbin Ottoman
Serena & Lily