Kitchen - new build appliance package - feedback?

Davis_HelenMay 26, 2013

We are about to break ground on a new house - this is the first time we have built a home - and will be the house we raise our 2 younger (8 & 10 yo) kids and ultimately retire in over the next 7 - 8 years. We just sold our 1935 Tudor in our old neighborhood in anticipation of building our new home two lots down the street - we love the area and street just wanted the construction and layout and square footage a new house will afford us. So we bought a neighbor house and torn it down. The house will be around 5500 Sq with an open layout on the main floor - kitchen open to great room and dining area. We are not adamant chefs - just a family of 4 that needs the space - and do want a nice kitchen with a large eat around island for family time with our young sons.

I am not all about 'labels' or 'brands' - just looking for appliances that will both look nice and perform well for years to come - would rather spend the $$ for reliance vs a trophy appliance. Just trying to avoid repairs and needing to replace appliances in the first 10+ years if possible.

Would like to get some unfiltered feedback - our main cooking will be just with a range - we don't cook enough nor does the kitchen layout lend itself to wall ovens etc.

So here goes - in the kitchen
American Medallion Series 36 inch DF
Leibheer 36 inch freestanding fridge
Leibheer RU500 uncounter fridge for the island
Sharp Microwave drawer for same island
Bosch SHE3AR7 Dishwasher
Vent-a-hood chimney style ventilation

Game room - entertainment area/wet bar for the kids
Same Bosch dishwasher
GE undercounter beverage center - GVS04BDWSS
Simply upper cabinet mount microwave - just for popcorn and the like

Laundry- LG Front Load washer and dryer - DLEX3470V
WM3470HVA - got very high marks from consumer reports, which I know is not the end all be all authority necessarily.

Putting together a full package with AJMadison that is saving us a bunch of $$ from local retailers - we are right at $20K for the whole batch all in - shipping and no tax

Any thoughts or anything that jumps out that we should either not consider or substitute?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teachertile

Have you had front load washer & dryer before? I personally hated the front load washer and I'm now back to a top loader that I LOVE!

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 12:07PM
meyersdvm

We loved our front loader LG washer and drier in our previous home. I ended up with GE profile set for this one, because I got a deal too good to pass up. That said, the control board on the GE washer went out after ony 10 months and thankfully was still under warranty.

I ordered a Bosch 500 series dishwasher from AJ Madison yesterday. I thought long and hard about upgrading to Miele or the Bosch 800 plus series, but there were so many good reviews for the 500 series and it seemed a much better value. I looked at the Ascenta line and was willing to spend a little more to get a full stainless steel tub and a third rack. You may not want to go with Bosch's entry level line as I have read that they are not as well made, but who knows!

Good luck on the build.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 1:37PM
Davis_Helen

Thanks for the feedback - as for the Front End loaders - no we have not had them before - but my wife does about 80% of the laundry and is on the shorter side at 5'2 - and we were thinking with the front end loaders on the pedestals they would be easier on her back than top loaders

As for the Bosch dishwashers - off to read a little more about the 500 series.....

Thanks again for helping evolve our thinking!

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 1:10AM
kam76

We are planning on a microwave drawer too and have read here that many folks have gotten refurbished ones with success off of e-bay. About 1/2 price. Do you use your microwave a lot? I am just wondering why you would want two? The drawer makes it nice and hidden but looks like you are going to have one in an upper cabinet anyway?

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 2:12AM
joaniepoanie

We've had a top load LG Wave Force W/D for about 15 mos and I'm very happy with them. We debated on front loaders, but on this forum it seemed to run 50/50....half loved, half hated them, while not many haters for the traditional top loaders. We could not do pedestals because they sit in front of a window and I thought it would be too much crouching; however, I am also 5'2" and the tub is very deep. I keep a pair of tongs handy to scoop out smaller items from the bottom like socks.

We also have a Bosch DW and have been happy with that as well. We almost went for the Miele but Bosch got good reviews so couldn't justify spending nearly double.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 10:51AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You don't mention the model or the CFM of the hood, only the brand. With a pro level range, you will need a really good ventilation package. Also, what about the make up air for the hood? Is that in your HVAC package or is it in the appliance package?

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
What are your thoughts on Ikea Sektion base cabinets?
I've commented here over and over that since this little...
benjesbride
My Kitchen Renovation Using Scherr's RTA Cabinets Begins
We start demolition on Monday. We have been actively...
homechef59
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Undermount sink keeps separating from granite
We recently had granite installed in our kitchen and...
stnjan
Curava countertops?
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Curava...
katlynn719
Sponsored Products
Salt & Pepper Shaker Set
$12.50 | FRONTGATE
Murano Glass Bowl Luxury Vanity Vessel | Traditional Italian Wash Basin
maestrobath
Sample-Piccadilly Bianco Polished Ceramic Chair Rail Liners Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Single Flush Mount with Transparent Crystal Frame
ParrotUncle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot