How much do you spend on food per day?

adellabedella_usaNovember 9, 2011

I guess what got me curious about this is that I've been seeing articles on living on $1, $2, $5 or whatever amount per day of food. I've never challenged myself to see how thrifty I could get and still serve well rounded or healthy meals. I know I can regularly cook a healthy supper for around $10 for my family. Based on a $10 per meal plan for five people, I could probably feed us for around $6 per person per day because my other two meals don't cost as much and well thought out snacks could be relatively inexpensive. I could probably go lower, but I've traded some of my time for convenience to do other things. I'm not sure I would want to try for $1-2 range unless I had no other choice.

How much do you spend on food per day?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

OMG... it varies very wildly. $5 to maybe $100, depending on the location and occasion.

I DO know that my total food budget - home cooked + eating out - is 10% of our budget.
And I am under that for the year.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 1:14PM
grainlady_ks

I have a self-imposed $125.00 food budget per month for 2 adults (which purchases food only) so in the perfect world of math that equals $1,500 per year, divide that by 365 days = $4.11 per day for two people. To date I've spent $1,368.80. We do eat out occasionally, but that comes out of our "walking around money", not the food budget.

I try to keep the cost of meat to $2 per pound or less, and I spend no more than $10 per week for meat (at any price). We have one day per week that is meatless and that may extend to 2 days next year with food costs rising. We have a large cut of meat on Monday (which provides meat for sandwiches for lunches, leftovers, base for soup, casseroles, stir-fry, etc.), and the other days are a combination of small amounts of meat and low-costing meat alternatives. I mix homemade gluten (aka seitan or wheat meat) with ground meat as a high-protein meat extender.

I'm sure I could spend much less and still have a healthy, well-balanced diet because I use whole foods, nutrient-dense foods, and cook from scratch, including milling my own flour and baking all our baked goods.

For 18-months (mid-2008-2009) I had a $200/month budget and I started serious stockpiling which included 6-12-months of pantry foods and a year's worth of long-term emergency foods. In 2010 I reduced the food budget to $150/month, maintained the food in storage and I increased the "Seven Survival Foods" (grains, legumes, seeds for sprouting, salt, sweeteners, oil and powdered milk) to 3-years worth.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 8:12AM
meldy_nva

Do I have to include DH's junk food? Bags of chips and cookies, and ice cream which he is the only one to eat; he buys, stores, eats, and is totally responsible for them. Okay, that's probably only about $5 a week, but.

For years I spent well under $100 per month; now we are both retired: so meals are mostly only for two, but I do use a few convenience foods. Looking at the checkbook tells me the grocery bills for the past year averaged way less than $60 per month. Note that is edible only, paper goods and other non-food are purchased separately. There's no magic used, and I don't mill grains ~ I know, that's a loss of nutrition but I do freeze the flour until it's used. We do have a vegetable garden but it's no longer the primary provider of our food and it has gradually shrunk in both size and variety ~ once you hit 70, it seems like a good idea to let the young folks do the planting & picking, lol. I buy vegs & fruit from the local farmer's market, and can or freeze whatever is in season and available at a reasonable cost. Items purchased from the grocery store are almost always on sale... milk, butter and flour are bought at a warehouse club. (Milk is 3.29 per gallon compared to best grocery price of $3.89)

I grew up rural, where if you wanted to eat peaches or green beans in January you canned them the preceding summer. That isn't stockpiling, but a different way of running your pantry: grow it yourself or buy what is available at the normal harvest-time. In other words, one thinks of what will be needed between harvest this year and the harvest next year, and prepares accordingly. I do can/freeze almost everything made with tomatoes (from spaghetti sauce to catsup to juice), make all our jam/jelly, and make most meals from scratch, including bread. It takes very little effort to pre-prepare and can/freeze heat-n-eat meals, which means I don't spend money on TV dinners or other commercially prepared foods.

I rotate meals containing beef, pork, or seafood, and alternate each meat-meal with a non-meat meal. Meat-meals rarely have meat as the main ingredient; there will be at least two vegs and a fruit each in servings larger than the meat portion. Quite often meat is used more as an accent or flavoring, such as in chili-mac or a stirfry. I do try to vary recipes so that no meal is repeated more often than once a month.

I think it sums up this way: I cook/bake from scratch (no box mixes); most food is grown locally; most foods are purchased either on sale or at a very good price and sufficient is prepared to use for the following year; meats are eaten in small quantities and non-meat meals account for half of the dinners; there are always pre-prepared meals frozen or canned; and there is a lot of variety in recipes so boredom is prevented.

Oh, and while I was working, I made a point of rarely spending more than 30 minutes fixing dinner.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
reusable cloth grocery bags/ save money or not?
I decided to buy some reusable cloth grocery bags from...
bretonb
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
ellendi
Is this freebie site safe to use?
I found this site today but wasn't sure if I should...
marie26
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™