What weight thread to use for home decor /drapery projects?

wijumJanuary 8, 2008

Hello,

I just bought a used Consew Upholstery sewing machine (206RB) and am trying to purchase the notions i will need. I am using the machine to make home decor items to sell locally. My old Viking could not hack the heavier weight upholstery fabrics I was using, but I will keep it to sew lighter weight fabrics. I am wondering what weight thread is used in mid to heavy weight drapery projects? Do you use the 69 weight upholstery thread, or is there something better to use? For those of you that sew drapes --what type of sewing machine do you use?

Thanks,

Wendy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wijum

ok--so I guess either I asked a confusing question, or a stupid one. Could someone please explain thread sizes to me? I think I have figured out that the larger the number, the smaller the dinier of thread--at least where it applies to industrial machine thread? Is this right?
I hope this makes my question more clear. If not, at least this "thread" can drop off the front page now.
Thanks, Wendy

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 11:59AM
michelle_co

Hi Wendy,

I don't sew drapes but I do use #69 bonded nylon thread in my Juki industrial. It is a thick, very heavy weight thread. I have used it to sew bridles, saddle blankets, and such without having thread failures. It seems to me like it would be heavier than needed for drapes. It would certainly hold things together, but in places where you end up backstitching seams and such, there ends up being bulk.

I am planning to try the #33 bonded nylon thread for my medium duty projects. I think the #69 thread is overkill for anything I make except my heavy leather goods (which my machine can barely handle).

#33 bonded thread at SewTrue

Cheers,
Michelle

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 5:14PM
wijum

Hello Michelle,
Thanks for the link to sewtrue--nice site. I was wrong about the correlation of denier and number of thread. I finally found a good website that explained it all--Surperior threads. Anyway, think I will just try a smaller thread and see if it works --play around with the tension, etc.
Thanks for the reply, Wendy

Bookmark   January 17, 2008 at 11:29PM
michelle_co

Hi Wendy,

Post back when you settle on the type of thread to use. I am still experimenting with thread types myself. I wonder if a monofilament (clear) topthread and a bottom poly thread would work for some of your projects, where you didn't want the thread to show. The monofilament thread is tough stuff. I have used it for both horse tack and more recently for quilting. One of the first bridles I made is held together with monofilament, and I'm suprised it held, given the way I stitched it. :-) There is a lot of tension on a stiff, decorative overlay and the thread hasn't popped yet.

Cheers,
Michelle

Bookmark   January 18, 2008 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Small washcloths
I am fussy about big terrycloth washcloths that are...
barb_roselover_in
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
Great show...fit2stitch
I just started watching fit 2 stitch with Peggy Sagers...
Annie Deighnaugh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™