Drawers hanging low after roller replacement

mafs1482July 12, 2013

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in kitchens. I can cross post it if someone thinks I can get an answer over there, but I decided to check here first.

Our kitchen drawers (original to our 1968 house) have left handed roller brackets mounted in the center of the back of the drawer, like those at the link except flipped. Right handed ones are apparently much more common, but I found some left handed ones at Lowes. They are, as far as I can see, exactly the same as the old ones.

I replaced the two brackets that had lost their plastic wheels, the screw holes lined up perfectly and all, but now the drawers are maybe half an inch lower than they were before. Everything is lined up right, rollers on the tracks, etc, they're just lower. You can see the drawer openings. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on what I should do?

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer roller brackets

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tim45z10

Is the back up one half inch from before or the same level as the front?
I hope you still have the old ones.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:56AM
mafs1482

It seems like the whole drawer is raised. It's difficult to fit into the drawer opening and it slides, but not well. The old ones are broken; I have one (one was never there, at least not as far as I remember) but the plastic wheel is gone so it's not of much use.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:07AM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, Hold the wheel axeles from the old and new hanger together and see if they are the same length and the screw holes line up. I suspect the new ones are shorter and you will have to remount them on the drawer.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:10PM
mafs1482

The screw holes line up, but it looks like the wheel axles are longer. I compared them earlier, but I don't know how I missed this.

The top screw holes look to be in the same place.

I'm going to measure the length difference and mount the new rollers that much higher on the drawer. Since there's not really a piece that curves under the drawer on the new rollers, I hope it won't be an issue.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Door knob
My front door knob screws won't stay tight so if I...
padfoot4768
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Sidewalk crack
Any way to fill/hide this crack? I could cut slot wider....
stoveguyy
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™