Swiffer Wet Jet Refills

jbmagNovember 11, 2010

Hello! Has anyone figured out how to refill the swiffer wet jet bottles? They're quite expensive for as many as we would use per month but I like the convenience of them.

Thanks for the tips!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

The link below may help you out. The Tip Nut has a number of Swiffer Cloth Patterns you may be interested in as well - http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-swiffer-cloths/

I would like to give you another option that might suit your needs even better. Have you thought about switching to a steam mop?

Several years ago we received a hand held steam cleaner as a gift, which was great in the bathroom and kitchen for cleaning all surfaces and those hard-to-get-to areas, and I liked the chemical-free cleaning so much we purchased a Shark Canister Steam Cleaner, followed a few years later by a Shark Steam Pocket Mop (which is especially nice for a quick job on the floors).

Benefits... No expensive refills. You rinse the reusable mop heads in water to clean them. NO sticky cleaner residue left on your floors. Chemical-free!

The only thing I make sure I do is to use distilled or reverse osmosis water in my steam cleaners so they don't get hard water residue in them, which could cause them to plug up. We make our own distilled water, but I can get reverse osmosis water for 35-cents a gallon (fill-your-own bottles) at most of the grocery stores, Wal-Mart, and a little water shack that only dispenses reverse osmosis water.

We not only use the steam cleaners to mop floors, but we steam our beds, pillows, curtains, window blinds, carpets, and it's even great to use on windows. Steam cleaning destroys germs, viruses, molds, bacteria and dust mites. So everything is not only clean, but also sanitized.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructables

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 6:23AM
mustangs81

I second the steam cleaner. I was refilling my Swiffer with homemade solution for a couple of years but I went back to the steamer. My floors just feels so darn clean after steaming them.

In fact just last week I threw out 3 Swiffers after making the decision that it was more hassle than the steamer.

But, to answer your question, there are several instructions to be found on the internet. I never had a problem refilling the Swiffer.

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 10:52PM
fiddleddd

We have a steam cleaner as well, and it works great. However, we'll be moving to a house that has hard wood floors, and I worry that I'll no longer be able to use it on them. I've heard yes and no's on whether it will damage the wood. Can you give me any feedback on that? Thanks!

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 12:52AM
maifleur01

You need to find out if the floors are sealed and what they are sealed with. The type of sealer or no sealer will make a difference as to damage.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 10:07PM
melodydf1953

I too bought a steam mop, however it is too heavy for me to use and I let it sit a few minutes while I got water to refill and it took the shine off my vinyl flooring. I SHOULD have read the instructions more carefully I'm sure.
BUT, I never thought of cleaning windows with it. Instructions? Do you just use the steam and then dry with a clean cloth?

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 3:22PM
grainlady_ks

melodydf1953 -

Our canister Shark, as well as our small steamer, has a small attachment that we use for windows. The good news... the glass doesn't require drying at all. You may need a small towel for a stray drip or drop is all.

Love it, love it, love it...

-Grainlady

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 9:39AM
jannie

You can easily get the cap off the Swiffer refills. Put about 2 inches of water in a pot. Bring it to a boil, then shut off the burner, dip the Swiffer bottle in it upside down so the plastic white cap is in the bottom of the pot, count to 15, lift the bottle out and carefully (use a paper towel or pot holder) twist the cap off. Add plain water and a small amount of cleaner (I like Lysol), then put the cap back on. You can use one bottle many times.

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
callie25
Saving money on water
Unfortunately, in this case you may have to spend to...
tim45z10
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Off topic: A sad tale but also true...
A widow friend of mine was telling me today about the...
budster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™