Down alternative?

joyce_6333July 21, 2014

Anyone here use a down alternative comforter? I've always had down, at least the last 30 yrs or so, and love them, but wondering about the alternative fills to make washing easier. Some of the new fills seem really nice. Would appreciate your opinions as compared to down. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maire_cate

We switched to alternative down when I discovered DH had allergies. Honestly I don't see a difference. We've always purchased them from The Company Store because they offer larger sizes then standard and I want my comforter to cover my pillows and the side of the bed.

My super size king is 110 x 98 and they also have a big selection of covers.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 11:38AM
demifloyd

Yes, I also switched to Down Alternative, but avoid the lower priced down alternative.

I like Cuddledown, The Company Store, and the more expensive ones from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 1:28PM
PhoneLady

I am in AZ - home of the dry heat. Keep the bedroom at 69 during the summer and we love to hunker down under a comforter but don't like the weight of anything too heavy.

After buying and discarding countless down comforters, we purchased a silk filled one at Costco. It was one of those traveling show things. We paid $270 plus tax but that was 2 years ago. King 106 x 96. Washes easily, doesn't bunch up like so many of them do.

Website is smartsilk.com and it looks like Amazon may carry them. Amazon typically has a generous return policy too. I personally could not buy a comforter sight unseen unless I knew I could easily return it.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 1:41PM
martinca_gw

The few I've experienced were uncomfortably heavy, so I assumed they're all that way. I adore my floaty-light California weight comforter. The silk filled sounds nice. Is it, or others as light as down?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:07AM
oceanna

I switched to silk, but you can't put it in the washer. Your duvet cover should keep it clean. Silk comforters have a wonderful way of draping exactly to your body so keep you cuddly warm in the winter.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:14AM
PhoneLady

Out SmartSilk comforter has a Cotton outer shell. Machine wash and dry. I can't imagine it's any where as luxurious as a 100% silk product, but we've found it to be a better fit for us than any of the previous down comforters we've discarded because they felt too heavy on us all night.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:01PM
joyce_6333

Thanks for your responses. Definitely going to try one of these comforters.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Is Restoration Hardware bedding worth it?
I've been searching for the perfect white quilt for...
artydecor
Dining room chandelier selection, please help!
Hi everyone, I need to pull my dining room together...
aboxofcrayons
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
Front door color advice
I am buying a new front door (textured steel) to replace...
j1plante
Any idea what this style house is called?
Hello folks! I saw this house and am very interested...
jplanger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™