Jeans hem flips up and how to distress?

kelbelle9828January 24, 2006

Jeans hem flips up and how can I "distress" hem area? IÂd love to find out how to hem jeans so that they donÂt flip up and would like any tips on distressing them (stonewashing, etc) to make them look like the original hem? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmarion

Please explain flips up. Denim is going to do what ever it wants. To distress I've used a dremel tool with the sandpaper attachment. When I hem jeans I use a hammer to beat the seams. They go under the pressure foot alot easier and I use a "Jean a ma jig" or a hump jumper.

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 3:53PM
theladyizavamp_yahoo_com

Im not quite sure what you mean by flip up, your talking about the hem themselves how they fold up while wearing them? If so, I DESPISE THAT TOO! I havent found a way to sew them so they dont do that but I make sure when I put my jeans in the dryer the hem is not already rolled up because the dryer sets it like that, you could always iorn if its persistant, otherwise I wash my jeans inside out regaurdless to prevent it fading the wash & whiskering.
As far as distressing them, go to your kitchen & grab the box grater, or a handheld one works too & just rub the denim along that, you can make little rips, big worn in areas, & even those big rips they seem to be selling jeans with them on the thighs & over pockets.

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 2:24AM
noinwi

I've found that turning the jeans inside-out before putting them in the dryer helps keep the hems from turning up.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 1:11AM
jgrue

When I hem jeans, I trim away the seam edges that need to be turned under--always keeps them flat for me.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Keeping the tredal cabinet, swapping the machine (does not fit)
We have an Eldredge treadle machine and it's rusty...
archangel2003
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
Help me pick: Brother xl3750 or Singer 4423?
I'd like to get into some sewing projects, I did some...
williamsem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™