Christmas marketing

joyfulguyNovember 29, 2003

Weather wasn't too bad for the (Detroit) Thanksgiving Day parade yesterday - but it was chilly.

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone in the Benighted States ...

... the stores will be putting on the big marketing campaigns leading up to Christmas.

Just suppose that you were to move Thanksgiving to the second week in October, as the "smart" Canadians do - who'd prefer to celebrate Thanksgiving when the bountiful harvest is just completed rather than in a snowstorm.

Then ... the stores could start their Christmas marketing right after Hallowe'en - as the Canadian stores (most of them subsidiaries of U.S.-based enterprises) do.

Think of the benefits, folks ... think of the benefits!

Good wishes to all as you wind down to the last few weeks of successive days getting shorter.

joyful guy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mid_tn_mama

SSSHhhh. Someone might actually do that.

Bookmark   November 29, 2003 at 9:45AM
KitchenGodsWife

It was already done by FDR in 1939 (not quite to october, just a week earlier so that there would be a longer shopping season). In 1941 Congress changed it back.

Bookmark   November 29, 2003 at 11:17AM
dstanek

I'm pleased to live in the United States -- and don't consider them "benighted."

Bookmark   November 29, 2003 at 2:58PM
steve_o

"[...]the stores could start their Christmas marketing right after Hallowe'en - as the Canadian stores (most of them subsidiaries of U.S.-based enterprises) do. "

They're already doing that here. As soon as Halloween is past, the decorations are cleared out and the Christmas decor and merchandise move in. The only thing missing is the day-after "doorbuster" sale.

Bookmark   November 30, 2003 at 12:44PM
yellowhair

All I know is this----if you see something cute when it first appears on the shelf and don't buy it-----you may as well forget it. It will be gone in 2 days.

Bookmark   November 30, 2003 at 6:41PM
Meghane

As soon as Halloween is passed my big patootie! Most stores around here had Christmas up before Halloween. Made me sick. And I told more than a few managers why I was leaving their store without buying. At least wait until after Halloween! Except craft stores. One needs time to make all the goodies.

Guess what I did the Saturday before Thanksgiving? Put up the Yule lights. In shorts and a T-shirt. Then I went shopping with the roof off the Jeep. On November 23rd.

And they say global warming isn't real.

Bookmark   November 30, 2003 at 10:02PM
joyfulguy

Hif kitchengod'swife,

Interesting dates that you give regarding U.S. Thanksgiving:

1939 was the year when, having decided that Hitler and his buddies were very nasty people, with their eyes set on world domination, World War II started for many of us.

1941 was the year when, having been kicked in the rear end by one of Hitler's buddies, the U.S. decided that was the case.

joyful guy

Bookmark   December 1, 2003 at 2:53AM
joyfulguy

Hi again, Meghane,

Careful, girl - there's a rumour going the rounds that ...

... if you eat too much, or tend to eat certain kinds of stuff ...

... that "patootie" will just get bigger!

I doubt that you'd like that very much.

Just a word to the (already) wise ....

ole joyful

Bookmark   December 1, 2003 at 3:27AM
More Discussions
reusable cloth grocery bags/ save money or not?
I decided to buy some reusable cloth grocery bags from...
bretonb
credit card question
I have a large amount of credit card debt from various...
christians1
How some people can make 35% on some of their money ...guaranteed
At a "World MoneyShow" in Toronto last month,...
joyfulguy
How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents
If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them...
joyfulguy
Off topic: A sad tale but also true...
A widow friend of mine was telling me today about the...
budster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™