Mold in the house we are buying
We did the escrow inspections at a beautiful house we are to close escrow on in 20 days on Saturday. Upon walking to the rear of the house with our contractor and electrician we all started smelling mold. We all know the smell. The whole house inspection man had indicated mildew on the ceiling of one bathroom and showed that it could be determined where the mildew came from. There was nothing on the ceiling, it had probably been cleaned by the sellers. Still, there was quite a smell, mild in the bathroom but very strong in the bedroom across the hall.
I went outside, around the side of the house to see what I could see. The dirt in the side area was quite damp and I noted that the area was very shady. I saw the outside door to the hot water heater closet and opened it. The drywall inside had not been primed or painted and showed signs of mold splotches. MOLD! Yikes, was my first reaction. I went into the bedroom to tell the electrician and contractor and they said, look what we found. They had removed the cushion from the charming window seat cabinet and opened the lid and there was a dry, sandy set of sand like black or dark spores scattered around the semi gloss painted interior.
The sellers are now out of state and don't want to do anything but close the sale. We will be bringing a new born baby to the house. HELP if you know a lot about mold.
I am not afraid of mold. I know it is all around. As a biology major in college I recognize that most mold is not something that would make someone ill but I discovered that it can cost $50 to $800 to get someone out to test air and the swab from the mold present to determine what type it is and the air quality.
Then we might want to start tearing out drywall and the wooden interior, etc. I want to avoid that in the house but I will have the contractor drain the water heater, drain the water and remove the heater to rip out the dry wall and will have him seal it in plastic bags and then use green board to line the area and then prime and paint and replace the heater.
But most mold simply needs you to wear a mask and gloves and wash with water and detergent and dry well quickly....I will drill a few holes in the top of the cabinet and put a nice piece of brass screening on the inside so that the box can breath and I will leave the cushion off on the first of each month. We want to put a small skylite in the room since it will be my husband's office and it is dark. I might even put 4 oz of bleach into 1/2 gallon of water and use gloves to wipe down the cleaned internal surfaces.
As for the bathroom, I will remove the ceiling exhaust and put in a new more powerful one and wash around the area on the ceiling with detergent before completing that task.
Is this a good plan or am I just wanting to move into this well maintained, beautiful house because I am having my baby any time now and I'm being naive and stupid? Please help.