money saving tips for kids?

mollyjaneaOctober 24, 2004

what ideas do you have for saving money raising kids? i take care of my 15 month old niece and we make our own playdough, etc. Looking for some new and different ideas for frugal fun. thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trofywife

Corn meal in a plastic dish basin with kitchen items (funnels, measuring cups/spoons, sifter etc...)

My Favorite - Finger paint with pudding!

Clean counters and table with shaving cream, playing in the cream, of course, while you "work" (make sure this won't damage your type of table/counters)

My babies are 14, 11 and 9 now - I really miss the toddler stage! Have fun with her!

Bookmark   October 24, 2004 at 10:12PM
adellabedella_usa

Buy passes to the zoos and parks. They pay for themselves in a short time. The kids love going to the same places over and over.

Eat at home and then take the kids to McDonalds for ice cream and the playland only. (Cheaper and probably healthier too.)

Go to the library at least once a week or take the kids to reading hour.

Ask around and see if there are any free preschool activities in your area. For instance, we have free preschool activities at the zoo, library, and church.

Do online searches for crafts. Look up Christmas ornaments and coloring stuff. For a 15 month child, you're going to be doing most of the work.

I make cards for all of the holidays with my kids that are too young to do things by themself.
-For halloween, we sent the grandparents "ghost" cards made out of upside down white handprints.
-For Valentines Day cards, I let the kids scribble on paper. I then cut heart shapes out of the scribble paper and we glued that onto a contasting paper.
-For Thanksgiving, we make handprint turkeys and glued magnets on the back.
-For Christmas last year, we made ornaments out of aluminum cans. To do this, you cut off the bottom portion of the can (about 1/2 inch) with a pair of scissors. Glue a heavy paper circle to the back. Put some glue in the "bowl" in the can. Drop sequins, beads, or buttons in the glue and let dry. After drying, punch a hole in the rim with a nail and put a ribbon through it for hanging. Put a name and date on the ornament and keep it for a keepsake.

Bookmark   October 27, 2004 at 1:11AM
monicatx

One of my favorites is to bake cookies. Just watching a little one open an egg by themselves is the funniest thing you'll ever see. Don't tell them how - just ask them to open the egg into a bowl...

Bookmark   November 16, 2004 at 7:09PM
joyfulguy

MonicaTX,

Don't remember having seen that - but can imagine that it would be really a fun-filled experience!

Good wishes to you and yours.

joyful guy

Bookmark   November 17, 2004 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
kitchen sink size???
What is the best size for a kitchen sink? I am thinking...
abekker
Coupons
I would like to start checking out coupons to save...
alameda/zone 8
Saving money when using an air condiioner or dehumidifier
This will actually save you money only if you pay for...
joyfulguy
What 'Home Improvements' are worth it?
Hi, I posted this message as a response to the woman...
Eileen_MA
Which smartphone for PagePlus?
Looking for help for my first smartphone purchase,...
wonderinginnh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™