Help my windowsills.

musicteacherJuly 27, 2011

My front room has three windows that start about 8 inches off the floor, the perfect height for my beloved dogs to perch on, guard the house, and bark at every passing creature. Not surprisingly, in their enthusiasm, they have repeatedly ruined my paint job and even scratched into the wood. I like that they keep strangers away, but need to protect my window sills somehow. Is there anything I could put over the wood, or use instead of wood that they wouldn't damage? I have even thought about temporarily attaching a piece of carpet there, but something white and hard would be much more attractive. Thanks for your thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

You could get a sheet of white Masonite and cut it to fit on top of the window sill.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 8:54PM
hilltop_gw

Do a google search for ..... marble window sills.... you'll find places that will custom make them. We recently built and got marble window sills through our local lumber store. They are fabulous. No worries about water or heat damage. You could also try a solid surface such as corian.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 10:31PM
GulfBreezeWindows

Just wanted to add that if you are looking for somthing temporary or "low budget" find a siding or window installer that might have some poly coil on hand.

It is PVC based and can be bent so you could use it as a guard on your window sills.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 5:43PM
maryland_irisman

GulfBreeze, good idea and you just gave me another idea, just a scrap piece of PVC siding cut to fit. Either way, you can mold it to the sill or close the window down on it to hold it in place.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 9:52AM
ionized_gw

Dog slippers/shoes

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 11:16AM
Gardener81
    Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 7:54AM
drywall_diy_guy

You could apply ceramic tile. We did this with one basement window sill that was constantly getting wrecked - worked well! With all the sizes, patterns, and edge finishing available you might be able to come up with something that looks pretty nice.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Hubby and I disagree on who to call for cracks
So we keep arguing for like 5 years now (husband and...
dahoov2
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
Need a professional locksmith service!
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and the reason I registered...
martin-ferdinand
Leaning picket fence
I recently purchased my house and for whatever reason,...
media529
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™