water heater blanket

skippy05October 15, 2009

Anyone have one? Just curious......

Was looking at them in Lowes

Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

I have one. They are cheap and easy to install. If you are planning on staying in your home for a number of years, I would get one. You'll save a little on your utility bills each month and it will add up over time.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 9:09AM
grainlady_ks

They are NOT suggested for use with all water heaters, so check your owner's manual, or call the manufacturer.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 3:42PM
skippy05

Thanks for the input!

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 11:06PM
Cynic

If you use them with a gas heater, be sure that you don't block the airflow or let it anywhere near where flames could ignite it. Also be sure the ventilation isn't blocked.

Be sure to get one that has enough R-value to be of any use. Otherwise you could use two of them. Another good thing to do is insulate your water pipes.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 1:31AM
hrajotte

In some areas, the utility company installs them for free. They used to, anyway!

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 10:54AM
joyfulguy

Our city-managed utility installed one free, plus a timer to heat the water at 2 a.m., spreading the load, and they rebated most of my rental on the heater.

Later, a wider-area utility took over and they removed the timer. When I asked them how that helped spread and save power, the technicians had no answer, and when I called their service number, they said that they did not offer that service ... but when I asked why not - no answer.

When I raised substantial objection, the technicians left the blanket and I did some reinstalling of it.

There's no blanket on the one here at the farm - I should investigate whether I should get one, I think.

I've installed some insulation on the hot water pipes ... but I use each tap on a sequential basis at short intervals so seldom that the heat pretty well all dissipates before I use that hot water tap again.

I feel that it's important that we do what we can to reduce substantially the use of precious energy, plus pollutants and global warming.

ole joyful

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 4:05AM
joyfulguy

Our city-managed utility installed one free, plus a timer to heat the water at 2 a.m., spreading the load, and they rebated most of my rental on the heater.

Later, a wider-area utility took over and they removed the timer. When I asked them how that helped spread and save power, the technicians had no answer, and when I called their service number, they said that they did not offer that service ... but when I asked why not - no answer.

When I raised substantial objection, the technicians left the blanket and I did some reinstalling of it.

There's no blanket on the one here at the farm - I should investigate whether I should get one, I think.

I've installed some insulation on the hot water pipes ... but I use each tap on a sequential basis at short intervals so seldom that the heat pretty well all dissipates before I use that hot water tap again.

I feel that it's important that we do what we can to reduce substantially the use of precious energy, plus pollutants and global warming.

ole joyful

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
hail damage
is it necessary to have hail damage insurance in MN...
stoveguyy
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
TomNewEngland
Cable alternatives
We are moving to a place where we are unable to get...
mrsgym
Harvest forum
There is a forum in the garden web called harvest that...
sewcrazynurse
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
Sponsored Products
Armen Living Sanford Storage Bench - LC9683TUBEBE
$269.99 | Hayneedle
Logo Throws Utah Fleece Throw Blanket Reds / Pinks 230-25
$29.95 | Home Depot
Baxton Studio Dennehy Bonded Leather Storage Bench Ottoman in Dark Brown
Overstock.com
Kenyon Polartec Fleece Indoor/Outdoor Twin-size Blanket
Overstock.com
Travel Blanket Set
$33.00 | Horchow