rust at the weed screed

crosenowJuly 24, 2006

I am in the process of purchasing a new home. we had the inspection done last weekend. the inspector found excesive rust at the weed screed. Some of the houses in the neighborhood had problems with the flashing on the roof. What can cause rusted weed screed and how can I amke sure there is not a problem with the flashing? Thanks so much

CR

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

I had never heard of "weed screed" so I googled it. Well it seems to have something to do with marijuana. Hum! Seriously I am only sending this because I have never heard of a weed screed on a home. Hope to be enlightened.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 8:07PM
snoonyb

Its weep screed.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 11:33PM
ericwi

Thanks for the correction. The problem is, I never heard of "weep screed" either!

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 9:07AM
ventupete

Weep screeds are long perforated metal strips that are installed along the bottom of exterior walls to allow any moisture that penetrates the siding (but not the black paper or other moisture barrier) to escape by dripping out the bottom. I don't know the construction of your house, but it's unlikely that defective flashing on the roof would cause excessive moisture to get into the exterior walls. There are a few possibilities. Depending on the type of siding you have and your climate, it's normal to have some moisture get through the siding (especially stucco) so the weep screed is doing it's job if some is coming out. Rust means either that it got scratched or the finish was defective or maybe there is an opening somewhere on the wall that is causing excessive moisture to penetrate. Is the rust localized or is it all along the screed?

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 4:25PM
bud_rutherford

Rusted weep screeds could be caused by a number of different scenarios. There are some weep screeds on the market today that are called "economy" weep screeds. These type of weep screeds may not be 26 gauge or have a G60 galvanized coating. Lawn sprinklers may be too close to the weep screed thus causing undue water to spray up at the weep screed. Short eaves can also cause water run off to splash too close to the foundation and thus keep the weep screed wet.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Hand-woven Arts Natural/ Rust Fine Sisal Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Glendora Beige 6' Round
Home Depot
Rust Orange Super Fine Gabbeh High Kpsi 6'x9' Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6828
BH Sun Inc
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Rust, 6'0" x 7'5" M1765-150
Darya Rugs
Le Corbusier LC2 Style Armchair-Ivory - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Model 302-42: Urban Colonial Two-Light Wall Sconce
$142.20 | Bellacor
Regis Promo Love Seat