Add gutters to 30 yr old house - Dallas ?

nic3456July 15, 2012

I am getting ready to purchase a nearly 30 year old house in the Dallas area. The inspector mentioned that it would be a good idea to add them so I could control the flow of water. I was wondering if it woul make sense to add them on such an old home if it's been this long without them? The house does have minor foundation issues but the belief is that has been caused by a lack of sprinkler or soaker hoses. Not sure it makes a difference but it a two story house, 75% wood siding/25% brick.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pianolady007

What are your minor foundation issues? Have you had paint peeling or staining problems? Any time water accumulates against the foundation, it can cause problems.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 9:15AM
texasredhead

Such an old home? My home was built in 1959. If you have trees around your old home, be sure to have screens installed to keep leaves out. May have problems getting anyone to work on such an old home.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 9:25AM
nic3456

The foundation issues were related to some tilting. I realize 30yo isn't old for a lot of people, but its the oldest I've ever owned :) I just wasn't sure if there was a certain age point at which it wouldn't make a difference by adding gutters.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 10:48AM
homebound

Do the neighboring houses have gutters? Home much does the roof overhang? Just wondering.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 11:57AM
pianolady007

Where I live you can't find a house without gutters. If it rains and the water is falling off your roof next to the foundation instead of being diverted away from the house, you could probably benefit from adding gutters. 5" gutters are ideal if you are going to do it. Pics are always helpful so we can see the house. I'm surprised a house built in the 1980's didn't have them.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 12:12PM
pianolady007

Another thing to consider, is you'll need to clean out those gutters yearly if there are trees nearby. If you don't, it's worse than not having them at all when they clog. You can install gutter guard systems, but that will add to the cost of the installation.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Roofing- Metal or Shingles?
I have to have the roofing done on a house if I am...
ladyvixen84
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™