Door knob repair

topperdudeJuly 15, 2008

Hi,

We have Schlage door knobs such as the one in this link: http://consumer.schlage.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?styleID=48&functionID=29&finishID=5 with the "Bed/Bath lock (privacy)" style (under 'Available Lock Functions'). Recently, for one of the knobs, when we shut the door, although the door closes completely, the latch does not seem to click into place (with the 'strike'?) - as a result someone can push the door from the outside (without even touching the door knob) and open it.

Would appreciate any tips/guide to help me fix this issue.

Thanks,

-Topper

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjoh878646

the problem is not wth the doorknob its the strike plate mounted on the door frame. For some reason the latchng mechanisim, the part that sticks out of the door is not going into the hole of the strke plate. Try loosening up the screws on the strikeplate and shift it a little bit and see if that solves the problem. Otherwise you mght have to remount the plate in a different position or file the hole bigger.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 8:56PM
HandyMac

Another place to look is at the door hinges. If the top hinge is a bit loose, the door can sag just enough for the latch to miss that hole in the striker. Settling foundations can cause that problem---moving the striker plate as rjoh advised will work.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 2:05AM
topperdude

rjoh878646 and handymac - thanks for the replies and suggestions! The thought that it may be related to our (relatively) new house (built in summer 2006) settling did occur to me as well. Will try out the suggestions and see if it fixes the issue.

Thanks again,
-Topper

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Old kitchen drywall
Finally are giving our kitchen a facelift. We have...
katlan
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
blakekr
Crawlspace floods with water, but it doesnt touch the wood, ok?
I have a crawlspace that is about 2 ft from the ground....
tlbean2004
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™