Wood rot -- who to call

livvyliv10July 5, 2010

I have wood rot on the outside of my doors towards the bottom. I have one of those composite decks and it holds water a little too well. Who would you call to repair this? I just have no idea where to start.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Call a carpenter or handyman who can replace the rotted wood and fix the deck. Decks should not hold water, and especially against the house.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 12:16AM
chembuild

Your best bet would be to use something like DryZone or DampStop. They're the most effective methods according to pros who buy from our store :)

Other than that, try using a tanking slurry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tanking Slurry

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 10:57AM
jjaazzy

Are you saying that the wood alternative deck boards are holding water? I was thinking of using them to replace the few boards that are rotting on my lower deck. I have a web site for you to check out that was my bible when I redid my upstairs deck of my MB it is called bestdecksite.com it really was terrific when we redid our deck. Forget the HD how too books... The reason I referred you to that side is that if you support beams are getting weathered from the water that is seeping thru in between the boards this site had a great solution which was to cover the support boards with roofing felt so that the water can't get to them I thought it was a terrific Idea and will implement it when the lower deck eventually has to be totally redone. But for now I just want to do a few boards and am now concerned by your findings.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Help With Siding Repair
I have a problem which is ... this: That is a slat...
justme4now
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
how did gap between floor and wall close up by itself?
I have hardwood floors and there is/was a spot at the...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™