DIY Small Patch of Mold

leo608July 26, 2009

Hello. This is my first post and wanted some advice about mold. I have a ratified contract on a home. The home had a skylight installed some years back that leaked. According to my inspector, the leak had been repaired (we went the day after heavy rain and there was no mositure and he also checked the roof). Because of the leak, however, there is a small patch of black mold on the drywall near the skylight (it's approximately 3 inches x 3 inches). There's also some water damage in the laundry room that is adjacent to the skylight, but no visible mold.

I have two questions, would I be able to tackle this problem on my own? I called a mold testing company and when I explained the problem, they told me as long as there is no mold in the attic from the leak, I could do this on my own (tape plastic bag around mold, cut out the dry wall, patch back up). I havn't checked the attic, but assuming this is the only mold, do I have to call someone in?

Also, do I need to do this before the appraisal? I'm using FHA financing and I'm afraid I might run into problems if I don't fix this now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjoh878646

I would do what the mold testing company said to do. This is a diy project. You might want to spray it with Concrobium before cutting it out and the spray the wood after it is cut out. Wear a NIOSH rated dust mask while doing it. Also vacuum everything up when you are done.

Here is a link that might be useful: concrobium

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Ice damming !! Desperate for advice 911!!!
WE have severe ice damming on the roof of our home...
coffeemama1
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
mattsk42
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™