storm door won't latch

Lexie76July 21, 2013

My Larson storm door is not latching. Lowes installed it in Dec 2012 and it was working fine until about 2 months ago I noticed that it was not latching. Up until 2 months ago the door was slammed on me. I was fine with it because it closed immediately after I went inside. Now I have to pull from the inside or push hard from the outside to get it to latch. http://www.larsondoors.com/storm_doors/products/349_20

I am not at all handy and was watching youtube videos for a quick fix, including a video on Larson's website. I adjusted the top closer counter clock wise and it did not do anything. I took the bottom closer off and turned the top closer and nothing. The hole on the closer would not align with the hole on the rods!!! What have I done?? I am still able to lock the door for now but need to get this fixed Do I need to drill new holes to get the closer and rod to align? Is this the reason the door won't automatically latch? The nail used to hold the closer and rod together is not bend. Not sure if this means anything. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Here's a couple of things you can try. It's not uncommon for storm doors to get caught in a heavy wind that blows them open and bend the frame of the door and/or damages the closer(s).

Disconnect both closers. Does the door function properly, without the closers?

Reconnect both closers. Completely unscrew the little plastic cap on the end of each. Does the door function properly?

If so, with both caps removed. Rapidly open and close the door a dozen times. Put the caps back on and adjust the closer speed.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Need help with shower tiles! Ceramic?
Please help me identify the preexisting tile in my...
shufflehop
Sponsored Products
New Genuine Knotted By Hand Wool Super Kazak 3' X 10' Azure Oriental Rug H5006
BH Sun Inc
Moonwalk Stonewall Black Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 6 in. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
6 in. New Construction IC Airtight Housing 6
PLFixtures
Novelty Lamps: 14 in. Novelty Table Lamp MH-INFIN8SM-BV
$23.99 | Home Depot
Tree of Life Art Print
$35.99 | Dot & Bo
24 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Little Cottage 12 x 10 ft. Pinehurst Colonial Panelized Garden Shed Multicolor -
Hayneedle
Monaco Monogrammed Coco Door Mat - A, 30" x 48"
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™