Adding Additional Fasteners To Joist Attached To CMU Wall

sequoia_2007July 6, 2009

I am in the process of repairing some framing in our crawlspace due to mold and rot. I have replaced all the 2x6Âs in one section of the floor, but will retain the last one secured by Hilti pins to the CMU wall. The pressure treated joist appears to be in good shape except for some light mold, but the pins and washers are badly corroded. With the adjacent joist removed this would be a good time to add additional fasteners. What do you recommend? I was thinking of using ½" HDG wedge bolts. I could just drill a ½" hole straight through the 2x6 into the CMU wall. How far should I drill into the CMU wall? Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions,


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

See my last post in your other thread.

If you can add threaded rods through this 2x6 and through the CMUs completely, that would be the way to go.

Otherwise, consider re-installing the other half of this built up beam you removed...another the one shown then supporting this 2 2x6 built-up beam using several vertical columns from beam to concrete footing.

It would be my repair choice and one that would be simple, inexpensive and permanent.

    Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 10:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The other side of the grouted CMU wall is below grade under a garage slab. The two 2x6Âs you are seeing are being used to temporarily hold up the floor with jacks underneath. There is a very light load on this 6 foot length of 2x6 pressure treated joist and I thought it would be a good idea to add a few fasteners like 1/2" Simpson Strong Bolt Wedge Anchors.

    Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 11:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Simpson nor other 'wedge bolt' type anchors are usually ever approved for use by most Building Codes.

Consult a design professional and your local Code office before proceeding.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 12:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Simpson nor other 'wedge bolt' type anchors are usually ever approved for use by most Building Codes."

Since the installation already should have the code mandated fasteners, you can add more and use whatever you want.

Wedge bolt fasteners are routinely used in commercial work for anchoring pipes above drop ceilings.

As long as the CBU is grout filled expansion anchors will work fine.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just got the phone with our building inspector. He gave his OK to use the 1/2" Simpson Strong Bolt Wedge Connectors.

Thank you to all those who responded and tried to help.

    Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 12:20PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
How to stop leak in flat low slope roof
We have a low slope roof over our sunroom and car port....
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
Heating tool
Picked this for free at an estate sale. Wood burning,...
Sagging Anderson Storm Door
I had an Anderson storm door installed a couple of...
Garage door
Something strange happened last night. We were watching...
Sponsored Products
Loop 27" LED Snowflake Mot129
Westinghouse Lighting Hardware Assorted Antique Brass and Polished Brass Fan
$1.98 | Home Depot
Hudson Valley Belmont 9" Wide Satin Nickel Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Rubbed Bronze Four-Light Bath Light with Florentine Scavo Glass
$169.90 | Bellacor
Blue Slicker Dog Raincoat
$55.50 | FRONTGATE
Serena & Lily Pebble Zip Sack
Serena & Lily
LumenArt | APD.01 Pendant Light
$140.00 | YLighting
Chef Dean Fearing Buffalo Steaks - N/A
$225.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™