De-Icing Spray and Lock De-Icer

mcpegOctober 30, 2012

Hi everyone,

A blog somewhere mentioned that a mixture of 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 water in a spray bottle will de-ice your car windows. They suggest spraying when you park the car in bad weather and when you park your car for the night at home. In the morning it should be easier to clear the ice.

Also a small bottle of hand sanitizer in your coat pocket can be used on locks and your key since it's 90% alcohol.

If you travel during the day with a back pack even a smaller spray bottle with the vinegar mix and a small scraper might help you get into your car easier.

There could be other applications for this in winter maybe like spraying the ice around your doors? Spraying anything frozen and stuck?

Makes sense to me. Could even make up small spray bottles and attach a small hand sanitizer with a note on this for stocking stuffers to spread the word.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

Have you actually tried it? Does it work?

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 8:50AM
mcpeg

I have not tried it - just read about it. I'm getting more and more away from chemicals and saving pennies. I am definitely going to give this a go. We normally get lots of ice in December - it will be ready by the door. I could also try it the next time I defrost my freezer to see how it works on the stuff on the sides.

Doesn't hurt to try. Doesn't cost much.

Cheers,
Peggy

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 5:11PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I would be worried about vinegar damaging the paint and corroding the metal of the lock, but am not sure if these are valid concerns or not.

If you can run an extension cord, a hair dryer will get you in there pretty quickly. While it's not frozen, you can also make sure the lock is well lubricated with WD-40 which would help ice fall off easier if it did form. You can also rub a little oil around the rubber seal so it's less likely to freeze the door shut.

Never park in deep slush in the evening or your car may be stuck to the ground in the morning.

I would also turn off the heat in the car a little before getting home if it was snowing. If that stuff doesn't melt on the car so much, it's not an ice sheet, it's so much easier to get off.

Moved here from OH a few years ago. I don't miss this stuff at all!!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:02PM
emma

I also would worry about vinegar damaging the car, vinegar damages a lot of things. It will kill grass but not weeds, weird. It turned my blue towel gray, thankfully it was an old one. I have spots on kitchen towels when I wipe the counter after using vinegar. I tried de icers years ago and it didn't work for me. I just ran the car for a bit to warm the ice up.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 11:04PM
LuAnn_in_PA

That is why I asked if the OP actually tries this.
Vinegar is an acid. and can cause damage.

I really don't think this would make a good stocking stuffer as suggested....

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Is this freebie site safe to use?
I found this site today but wasn't sure if I should...
marie26
Holiday decorations
Hey all, I've got a great money saving tip for everyone. You...
TmF1
Barcode on the envelope?
I used a envelope which has barcode on it to send a...
kuangmao
Need Ideas-Extra Space/Supplemental Income
My wife and I recently had twins which upped our kid...
TomNewEngland
kitchen sink size???
What is the best size for a kitchen sink? I am thinking...
abekker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™