Have you ever heard of a school doing this?

marbreeDecember 3, 2006

Kalamazoo Promise

http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com/education/dept/dept.php?sectiondetailid=10657&sc_id=1131662979

They give free college education for kids who started in kindergarten and graduate from the school.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalamazoo promise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bud_wi

It's in the news because this is a "first" for any city in American to do. You can bet the school standards and criteria in order to graduate are going to be tough.

There are lots of countries that provide a university education at no out of pocket cost to the student. The academic requirments to get in to a university there are very stringent.

I never understood why post secondary education in America was based on one's ability to pay rather than one's acedemic performance.

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 3:13AM
dlynn2

The money was donated by an anonymous donor who wants to encourage more businesses to relocate to Kalamzoo and to help make Kalamazoo a very desirable place. Our guess is that the donor is part of the Stryker family/company. The Stryker Corp. is based in Kalamazoo. The three eldest Stryker heirs and the CEO are each worth over $1 billion. One of them lives here in my town and she is very committed to doing things to make our town and state a better place to live and raise children. Her main focus for all of her philanthropies has always been youth and education. This seems very much like something that family would do.

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 4:00AM
klimkm

bud_wi - AMEN. More companies should take on philanthrophic endeavors like the one described above. Maybe students would study harder with such a system.

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
12 year old WON'T do homework
Our 12-year-old son has resisted doing homework for...
Zoalda
Problems with th Institute of Reading Development
Problems with Institute of Reading Development Program? I...
momme
private vs public school education
I am responding to the discussion group regarding the...
walter snow
Son acting up in school - what do I do?
My DS is in 1st grade and his teacher asked me to come...
Momma_Bird_OH
Does anyone know how homeschooled kids get admitted to college?
My niece was in private school, then public, then homeschooled,...
sue36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™