Repair of T1-11 siding?

rogerv_gwJuly 15, 2007

We recently had our house re-piped from galvanized steel pipes to copper pipes. Now, on the T1-11 siding at the water entry to our house, we have a couple of pipes that were cut off at the level of the siding. My question is how to repair this (make it disappear *smile*), fix the surface of the siding and generally fill the pipes and the area of the siding affected by cutting off the pipes flush.

I had thought about putting caulking in the pipes to provide a filler that would allow putting a surface treatment on the area, and then use some sort of exterior spackling over the area, then prime and paint.

Would this work? If so, what sort of caulk and spackle would be the best to use? I'm a little worried about an exterior spackling cracking over time, but I see some "flexible" exterior spackles out there.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your help.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Remove a section of siding and replace it.
Anything else looks like a patch job because it is a patch job.

    Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 2:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Okay, I'm looking at this as a temporary patch job...I don't know when I'll be able to get to the siding replacement, so until then I need to patch it.

Any help with the patching operation?



    Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 4:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Any of the options you have discussed are MORE work than removing a panel and replacing it.
How hard do you think popping off a panel is?
The stuff remains pretty low cost (less than $40 a sheet last time I needed some) and is not that hard to work with.

    Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 7:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Can anyone offer me any help with this, patching up these two relatively small spots for the time being?

I manage my own time, and know what I have time for.

Thanks for your help.


    Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Get a small piece of wood panel , preferably matching siding - and screw it over the area. Add some caulk and paint.

    Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Add some caulk and paint."

And when you get around to a real repair you can work on the rot that has started when the caulk leaks...

    Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 8:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi, Plug the holes with epoxy or put on a piece of 1x4 or 1x6 rough sawn lumber. If possible install it like it was planned, like trim. You have to figure what looks best to you. Mabe on a short wall run it to the end or install a couple of legs on it. Hope this helps
Good Luck woodbutcher

    Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Screw a small patch of 1/4" plywood over the hole to allow centering a thin rim hole saw. Cut a plug of T1-11 with the hole saw and glue it in with Gorilla Glue or Polyurethane glue. These glues expand, probably enough to fill the gap between the inside and outside diameter of the hole saw, because your plug will be that much smaller than the hole.Your hole will have to be large enough to cut the pipe back flush with the inside of the T-111. You could put a cleat on the back of the plug that is about 2" longer than the diameter of the plug. Screw through the center hole left by the hole saw. Just like you patch drywall holes.
Then a little putty & paint should make her what she ain't...

    Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 10:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The last two creative ideas posted are very welcome. I hadn't thought of adding wood trim over it or fitting in patches using a hole saw.

Thanks very much.


    Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 5:45PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Should we raise/fix concrete slab in driveway or wait?
Just moving into a new house this month. So the inspector...
Craftsman Garage Door opener won't close
Hello, Wife came home today and was able to open garage...
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
adjusting stop on lazy susan
Hi all, I have recently moved into an older home with...
Water Drip Stain on Roof Fascia?
My roof edge on the corners of the front porch is leaving...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™