Simple way to save auto engine fuel

joyfulguyOctober 25, 2009

When you see a signal light half a block ahead go to yellow, ease off on the throttle and let the vehicle more or less coast to the light ... you'll see several cars slip past you at throttle in the other lane ... and when they get near the light ... the brake lights go on.

Jack-rabbit starts from signal lights are fuel wasters, as is rapid acceleration. Accelerate at a gentle rate.

Drive as though there's a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator pedal.

And smile - you're usng fewer litres of gasoline/diesel.

ole joyful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I had, still have it.. car gets 22 mpg around town.. change the oil and filter and it gets 24mpg for a while, slowly deteriates to 22.

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 7:15AM
marlingardener

Joyful,
I thought you were going to tell us to walk more! You are absolutely right (as always) in saying that conservative, considerate driving saves fuel. It also saves gray hairs and perhaps lives, too.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 7:59AM
carol_in_california

A way I try to save a little fuel is to not start the engine until I have my purse stowed and my seat belt on....and then when I am getting out of the car, turn off the engine, then undo the seat belt and gather up my belongings.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 9:43PM
Cynic

It always amazes me watching the lineups at drive up windows whether at the bank or fast food joints and the cars idling for long periods of time. When I use them, I shut off the engine as I'm transacting business.

And another simple way is combine those trips. And be honest with yourself.... do you REALLY need to go for that drive? Often it could be skipped and you won't spend any gas.

Also a good map or mapping program can be your friend. I've been driving certain routes for years and just found a shortcut that saves time and miles, hence gas. And I'll admit that the GPS has found me a new route or two that saves time and gas in unfamiliar parts of town.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 4:12PM
davidandkasie

believe it or not, when i was 19 i had a Mustang GT 5.0HO. if it drove it the way you described i could get better than 25MPG in town and over 35MPG on the highway! if i drove it the way a typical 19yr old does, i got less than 10MPG/18MPG! i drove it one way with my infant son in the car, and like a bat out of hell if he was not.

also, make sure you keep up on maintenance and the filters changed in teh vehicle, it can make a huge difference.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 11:56AM
joyfulguy

Tires pumped, too.

o j

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 3:38PM
hrajotte

Great advice!
I'll add:
Use cruise control on the highway. Don't tailgate. Don't "surge" the accelerator (gas-brake-gas-brake.)
Shift out of overdrive when going downhill. Remember that every time you step on the brakes you are wasting energy and wearing out your tires and brake linings.
As someone else pointed out, forget drive-thrus. Park the car and go in. Often, that is even faster!

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 11:00AM
idontknowbrian

Lies, all lies. Tailgating on the highway gives me 10 more miles to the gallon due to the vehicle in front breaking the air. Please feel free to bump draft me whenever you want. HOLLERRRR

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 7:27PM
mikie_gw

I know a lady with some kind of sneezing alergy that is an excellent bump drafter. She drives a full size truck.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 4:46AM
joyfulguy

When bump-drafting ... how often does your hair stand on end?

Are you ready to throw yourself down as low as possible over the console if you don't brake in time and go under the trailer 10 feet ahead when the trucker brakes hard ... to avoid a deer, or for whatever reason???

You sure don't have long lead-time to twist that wheel to head for the ditch/another lane (that one hopes may be empty).

By the way ... did I advocate not following closely?

Good wishes for keeping your body all in one piece ... and your wallet fat (using safe practices - not much use in being, "dead right").

ole joyful

Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 2:42AM
More Discussions
credit card question
I have a large amount of credit card debt from various...
christians1
What 'Home Improvements' are worth it?
Hi, I posted this message as a response to the woman...
Eileen_MA
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
ellendi
How some people can make 35% on some of their money ...guaranteed
At a "World MoneyShow" in Toronto last month,...
joyfulguy
Coupons
I would like to start checking out coupons to save...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™