I have to buy a cell phone...

scarlett2001October 3, 2013

My old flip phone has finally died, so I have to get a new cell. But I don't use it too much, so I have no idea which one to buy!

This is what I need: no contract, no frills, games, etc. I would like to make and receive calls, text and maybe a camera, but that's not a necessity.

My sister has a smart phone and she says it costs her a whopping $900 a year - I sure don't want that! Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

If you have a Radio Shack where you live, check out the different phones and carriers they have available to get you started on your quest.

I've had different cell phones and carriers for 21-years and I like my TracPhone the best and have used them for 11-years. I was so glad to go to pre-paid service and get out of the crummy contracts. I saved sooooooooo much money.

I purchase the airtime cards at Sam's Club because they are less expensive there. I'm not a big phone user and my annual cost for my cell phone is less than $100. I've never used all the minutes on my 1-year card purchase,and the minutes roll over. If you make and receive a lot of calls, pre-paid may not be cost effective for you. If you call out of the country, make sure you get a carrier that allows you to do that.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 5:03AM
emma

I have T Mobile To Go, no frills, voice mail and text if you want. It usually costs me $100 a year for 1,000 minutes which roll over. No contract. It suits me.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 9:53AM
maifleur01

I would suggest Tracfone also. Had to move up a model from my original flip phone because the charger is no longer made and mine died. Watch for sales for the phone on their website. NetZero is the same company but Tracfone seems to have for me the usages that I use.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 9:48PM
christopherh

I rarely use my cell phone too so an expensive phone is just not practical. So I have a "Go Phone" from ATT. I pay $2 a day only on the days I use it. And since I only use it when I'm away from home, I load it only when I need it.

And the phone was free.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 7:32AM
emma

I got my Motorla flip phone at the T Moble to go site. It was a $135. but by buying it online I got it for $35. and lots of extra minutes.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 9:08AM
grainlady_ks

If considering an AT&T GoPhone, be sure to check the map at their web site for the area it covers. -Grainlady

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 9:10AM
christopherh

I live in rural Vermont and it covers everyplace I go. And that's all that matters to me.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 7:07AM
dreamgarden

"I live in rural Vermont and it covers everyplace I go. And that's all that matters to me."

It is helpful to know which phones work best in rural areas.

I find having good reception and a good battery at least as important as price. So many phones I've owned have needed to be recharged after only one or two calls. Very annoying.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 10:14AM
chitownkat

my husband and I both have phones and service from virgin Mobile. I pay $20 each every 90 days, or more if I use the phone more. Hubby uses it more but it is still only about $300 per year or less for both phones. Can text and take photos
Works for us.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 12:18PM
scarlett2001

chitownkat - what model is your phone?

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 2:49AM
christopherh

Dreamgarden,

I had to check what brand of phone I have. It's a Motorola. It holds a charge I imagine just like any other phone. It was obviously the cheapest one ATT had at the time because like I said, it was free.

I've had it for about 3 years now and it does exactly what I need a phone to do.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 7:54AM
emma

Motorola is what I bought when I signed up for T Moble to go. It will text and has voice mail in case I am gone from home. I bought it in 2008 and no problems. No more than I use it, I just charge it every Sunday. I use it like a land line, never carry it with me except for trips.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 11:17AM
gran5

My phone came from Dollar General where I buy my mins also, its a Net 10, I think I paid $15 for it, buy 300 mins every 60 days for $30. I text and get voice mail, no camera though. they do have them with a camera.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 6:43AM
oldfixer

I'm contemplating between Cellular One ($15/mo) and TracPhone.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 7:40AM
emma

I am going back to a land line, I am tired of worrying about the safety of cells when someone calls and keeps me on the thing for an hour. I am not even going for cordless. I will drag out my Kermit and Mickey Mouse wired phones and connect them.

Cox Cable is my server and I got their best phone service for $9 a month plus $5. for taxes. It is a 2 year promotion, no contract and at the end of the two years I will go back to basic phone service.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 9:29AM
chitownkat

scarlett2001, sorry for not responding sooner. I have one of the basic flip phones from the virginmobileusa.com website. They have Android and Iphones too. Mine might be called the Oyster phone but they seem to change their models often so it may not be available anymore. I got it maybe 2 years ago. The phone was $20

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 9:52AM
foodonastump

For basic service it's hard to beat piggy-backing off someone else's account, if you have that option. My parents have unlimited talk and text for $10 a month plus taxes because I tacked them onto my plan.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 7:46PM
sushipup1

And be sure to check out the newest (January 2014) issue of Consumer Reports for a big story about cell phones and plans. Excellent reporting about both phones and plans and companies.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 8:03PM
jules8

mr. money mustache has a discussion of cell service that might be helpful.

his website has some interesting topics.

Here is a link that might be useful: mr. money mustache

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
What 'Home Improvements' are worth it?
Hi, I posted this message as a response to the woman...
Eileen_MA
Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin
When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday,...
joyfulguy
Best Money Saving Advice
What do you do that saves a lot of $$$? I know many...
callie25
Quite a few made big savings on Amazon
Due to a quirk in their pricing software ... quite...
joyfulguy
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
ellendi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™