my quirky money saving tip ...water

toomuchglassSeptember 21, 2007

I live in the city . Our city water is AWFUL .... it smells like used swimming pool water ... so much CHLORINE ...

UGH !!!!!!!! I swear I can even smell our ice cubes.

For years , we've had bottled water delivered .... but that's going to stop. I discovered something ------

I bought my first fish EVER -- a Beta. There's drops to put in the water to instantly get rid of the chlorine for the fish. I tried it in a glass of water I was going to drink -- it's awesome ... one drop and the chlorine is gone !!! I can drink Tap water now without being repulsed.

We're selling the bottled water cooler now - that'll save about $30 a month. It's little discoveries like this that make me do the HAPPY DANCE !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

sodium thiosulfate - produced chiefly from liquid waste products of sodium sulfide or sulfur dye manufacture.

Buy it in the large size at the swimming pool supply's store.

Eye:
May cause mild eye irritation.
Skin:
May cause skin irritation.
Ingestion:
Ingestion may cause sore throat, coughing, nausea, abdominal pain.
Inhalation:
Inhalation may cause coughing, respiratory irritation, dyspnea, pulmonary edema.

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 7:59PM
quiltglo

You can also just put a jug of water on the counter overnight and let the chlorine dissipate. Which is what we do for our fish rather than use the chemical stuff.

Gloria

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 9:36PM
toomuchglass

The stuff that gets rid of the chlorine - doesn't scare me - one drop in 8 oz. of water is all it takes. I'll survive ! LOL

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 10:52PM
Brewbeer

Chlorine will evaporate out of the water if left standing uncovered overnight. However, many municipalities are now chlorinating with chloramines. Chloramines will not evaporate, leaving treatment or removal as the only options for dechlorination.

Campden tabets will also remove chlorine/chloramine. They are used in the home production of wine. They are very inexpensive and one tablet will treat between 15 and 20 gallons of water.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Money saving idea
Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things...
ellendi
How to Retire 35 Years Early
Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on...
jrb451
Harvest forum
There is a forum in the garden web called harvest that...
sewcrazynurse
Off topic: A sad tale but also true...
A widow friend of mine was telling me today about the...
budster
What 'Home Improvements' are worth it?
Hi, I posted this message as a response to the woman...
Eileen_MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™