Teacher's strange obsession

SAG1November 22, 2002

My nephew's sixth grade teacher teaches science, but she has been on the human body for most of the year. She keeps teaching them every day about the liver and the gall bladder, and every day on the board she draws a picture of these two organs. They are learning fine in the other classes, but the science one is really strange. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duckie

Most teachers are quite tied to the curriculum the school district puts out. My guess is that it is part of a district wide course of study.

Bookmark   November 22, 2002 at 2:10PM
April02

At the next parent teacher conference, let the teacher know that you are really excited about seeing what your son is learning. Ask for a copy of the science curriculum. It should tell what topics are to be covered in each unit.

Most states have mandated tests that are given each year, and the teachers are required to teach the material that is covered on those tests. Asking for an outline of the curriculum should allow you to see the path that teachers are expected to follow.

Is your son bringing home classwork and homework that is about the liver and gall bladder, every day? Or is it just his perception that all they learn about is the human body?

Bookmark   November 22, 2002 at 7:04PM
Momma_Bird_OH

Does your school district have a website? Ours posts the standard curriculum on their website.

Bookmark   November 25, 2002 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Son acting up in school - what do I do?
My DS is in 1st grade and his teacher asked me to come...
Momma_Bird_OH
Beestar is cool!
So happy to share with you guys! We used to use Kumon....
yvonnemommy
private vs public school education
I am responding to the discussion group regarding the...
walter snow
Block A University Sweater
Does anyone know what school or university this represents?...
subrosa
Institute of Reading Development
I am looking into summer reading programs for my son....
Loretta NJ Z6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™