Repainting windows with K-Kron II finish from Kolbe & Kolbe

rosefollyJuly 28, 2009

When we remodeled, we replaced out existing windows with Kolbe & Kolbe double hung windows with a factory finish called K-Kron II. It had a ten year warranty. Well it is now ten years and the windows most heavily exposed to the sun are starting to show some deterioration. Since we are scheduled to have out house repainted this year, we want to include the windows. We remember being told that you couldn't just paint them -- something special needs to be done. But we can't seem to find that information anywhere. Does anyone know what that special something is?

Thanks

Rosefolly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Have you tried the company below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kolbe

Bookmark   July 28, 2009 at 9:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

The paint is Flexacron and it is made by PPG. I believe it is elastometic polyurethane but PPG has never been very forthcoming about what it is. Most other manufacturers stopped using it long ago but Andersen still paints their 400 TiltWash sash with it and calls it a plastic cladding.

Since the urethane and/or polycyanurates would be fully cured they should be able to be safely sanded if you wear a normal dust mask.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Stranges lines in frost pattern on roof
I have these lines on the roof when there is a frost....
cswartzwelder
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
I know that lumber is smaller than actually stated...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™