Boarding schools for troubled teens

giantscale13November 26, 2006

We are looking for a boarding school in the Iowa area. Our 14 year old son has failed 8th grade twice. Hes proven to be very intelligent but defies anyone who tries to guide him.

Its not easy researching boarding schools but Iv yet to hear a horror story. Most school web sites look good. And claim great success rates. We are looking at Midwest Academy http://www.familyfirstaid.org/midwest.html but the tuition is around $45000 a year. Twice as much as college tuition and about as much as I make in one year.

Can anyone direct me to a forum or agency who reviews, rates or has true unbiased testimonials about boarding schools?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
giantscale13

Just a update.

After some research I found this site. http://www.wwaspsinfo.net/index.html
These are the horror stories of the schools I was recommended and actually considered. It shows the Law suit against Robert Lichfield who nets over 90 million a year owning and operating these schools.

This is scary stuff..

Bookmark   December 3, 2006 at 7:24PM
plumbly22

It's certainly NOT near Iowa... but the Hyde School in Maine is suppose to be wonderful... this from a psychologist friend who has taken their courses for parents and read their book on how they work... don't have a clue to cost, but maybe getting the book would be a beneficial starting point for help for you at home???The Biggest Job We'll Ever Have: The Hyde School Program for Character-Based Education and Parenting ... you can get it used off amazon for under $10 I believe....
it's

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 11:30AM
sheilajoyce_gw

Eons ago, my cousin had trouble succeeding in his Chicago area school. He was sent to a military school and bloomed there. We always assumed he responded well to immediate consequences and the orderliness of life. Bishops Quarters may have been the name of the school; not sure if that was the military school or another school he attended.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 3:10AM
gadaisy

We are enrolling our 13 yo son at OBI in KY. I have a brother who graduated from there years ago and loved it. My son is really strugging in school and we think that the 11/1 student/teacher ratio will be a big improvement for him. He has an average of 35 students in his public school now. Is there anyone out there that can reassure me?

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 7:06PM
darkhybrid

I have friends who were sent to boarding schools for alcohol and failing reasons. So far they have improved and have actually made honor roll. There they have learnt so far to be responsilbe as they are given chores every week.

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 10:41PM
scarlett2001

Have you taken a parenting class? Tested your son for learning diabilities?

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 3:34AM
agel2

Hi

This will help, It's a teen boarding school for boy and girls. I search it and this will provide you some useful information about programs of boarding schools for trouble teens.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 6:07AM
ithinkimsexy

If you want your teen to be a strong and self sufficient individual, the military boarding school is the answer to your problems. They are great for teens who do not have any major behavioral issues, but just require more structure in their lives. See the link for online resource for anything you need to know about military boarding schools.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
What is Your Opinion of School Uniform?
I strongly believe in school uniform as it helps to...
P Anderson
Beestar is cool!
So happy to share with you guys! We used to use Kumon....
yvonnemommy
Troubling Preschool Teacher
Hello, My 4 year old goes to a preschool. She was sent...
bnew
Single sex classes- your opinion
Do you think single sex classes improve students grades.....
lil_lillian
Problems with th Institute of Reading Development
Problems with Institute of Reading Development Program? I...
momme
Sponsored Products
Orchid Pedestal Bowl
$1,700.00 | Horchow
Ghost Bioethanol Fireplace
FRONTGATE
AHB Torrance Counter Stool - Pepper - 126909PP
$239.95 | Hayneedle
6' Portable Park Bench with Back and Pressure Treated Pine Planks
Fifthroom.com
HANDI-PRESS Electric Ironing Center
Overstock.com