Ground Cover - Pachysandra against wall

jerry_njJuly 16, 2011

The Pachysandra we planted in the shade for ground cover next tot he house a few years back may be doing too well.

We have a full basement, with window wells about 18" deep, and cement block foundation walls, cement covered on the outside.

The Pachysandra along one side has grown up close to the house and touches all the way up to the lower edge of the painted cedar siding. It has also almost reached across the window well on that side of the house.

Should I trim the Pachysandra back away from the siding? I'm comfortable that the cement basement wall is in no danger, but the siding may suffer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl

I don't know what your climate is, but in my climate this doesn't seem to be a problem. Our siding is 100 years old and has probably had plant contact for a good portion of that time. But trimming it away certainly wouldn't hurt the plant or the siding.

Managing the pachysandra in the long term may require you to thin it periodically by taking out chunks of its root mass to give it new room to grow. I don't know pachysandra that well, but based on other ground covers... If it is doing really well, and it sounds like it is, and is in a confined area, it may eventually choke on itself, some will die off, and it will rejuvenate itself over time, thus going through cycles. You could just watch how dense it is and be a bit proactive if it gets really thick.

KarinL

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 2:05PM
jerry_nj

Thanks, yes the plants are doing very well, and crowded. I have to keep mowing close to the intended edge to keep if from taking over the lawn.

I have pulled some plants to spread to other areas. That seems to be growing well in its new location. I didn't take much care either, just pulled up some chunks and scratched the surface where I transplanted to.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 3:50PM
karinl

This plant is a colonizer, so it isn't suitable everywhere - it's no sin to discard excess of it instead of transplanting it. I personally don't put plants like this where there isn't a physical barrier keeping them corralled, but if you can maintain the edge with mowing, that's good.

KarinL

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Roof leak - best way to find it?
Hi Everyone, I am a condo owner in New Jersey and own...
cpannetti
Heating tool
Picked this for free at an estate sale. Wood burning,...
tim45z10
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
Sponsored Products
Black Outdoor Wall 1-Light
PLFixtures
Performer Premium/Deluxe Grill Cover - 7152
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Walters - Earth fabric sectional with right-arm chaise
Interior Define
Big City Blush Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Rectangular Porcelain Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets