$1184 to purchase/install a fixed Velux S06 skylight?

EricamdJuly 11, 2013

This seems to be what I'm faced with. I've signed a roofing contract, but decided to replace the skylights after we signed the contract. They are saying it'd be approx $1184-$1350 each to replace both skylights with new Velux fixed skylights (FS S06 or FSR S06). I know they are large skylights about 40x40 but at the same time, they are fixed.....not the more expensive vented models.

I guess they are marking up the skylights and flashing kits a good amount and charging about $1200 for labor.

Not too sure what to do.

This post was edited by Ericamd on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 10:48

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

Why did you start a second thread on the same subject? You've repeated the same question as before.

If the skylight replacement at this price is part of the contract you signed, I'd say you're stuck. If it's not mentioned, i think you have flexibility. You need to express your concern about the price to the roofer and tell him (nicely) that overcharging you isn't in his best interest.

40 x 40 isn't that large for a skylight. Half of the ones I have are larger and I don't think that's unusual.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 1:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roof35

Plug your numbers in at Lowes, see what you come up with Roofing suppliers are usually a bit cheaper, but they don't give them away.

Expect to pay somewhere around $100 just for the flashing kit.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Gable Vent Color Suggestions- Insight please
Hopefully someone can give me insight! We recently...
storyta
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
Moss removal help!
Can anyone tell me how to effectively remove what looks...
nycbride07
Removing mold from joint compound container
I have a container of Sheetrock All Purpose Joint Compound...
africanboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™