Tub & shower refinishing - fiberglass surface

homeboundJuly 19, 2010

Anybody have some recommendations on selecting a refinisher for tubs and shower pans?

I'm dealing with a 10 yr old fiberglass pan (the walls are tiled). Are any methods preferred for maintaining a durable, cleanable finish or are they all pretty much the same?

I got a quote for $375 from one company. They say they apply 8 layers of some sort of finish after cleaning & prepping the surface. Does that sound about right for something that will last several years? (Metro DC area)

Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

My dad had a friend who had a perma glaze franchise in n.w. florida, they are nationwide. What impressed me was when they glazed over the tile, grout and all, is that you could leave it all one solid color, or they could replicate the grout lines any color as well. Either way, no more cleaning or re-grouting grout joints as it all wipes clean easily, little maintenance. Im not sure about the fiberglass pan, you would have to inquire, but I believe they can glaze that as well

Here is a link that might be useful: permaglaze

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 12:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Yup, we had something similar done in a small bathroom, w/ pink tile and black bullnose border) throughout the room. We covered just the pink 4x4's and grout, changing it to high gloss white. It ran about $600 or so and has lasted reasonably well for the last 10 years. Some got scraped off when the tub got recaulked, and also a couple grout lines are now a bit chipped, but otherwise it's gotten us through in lieu of a full upgrade.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
home ventilation system (EZ Breathe)
Hello! Has anyone out there had the EZ Breathe Ventilation...
kaybree
Help - how do I fix this tippy fence - did a dumb thing
Am building a 6 foot wood privacy fence (L shape) from...
kashka_kat
what type of contractor needed for this?
What type of contractor is needed to replace a rotting...
pdg777
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Shower Power Stand
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Shower Curtain Artistic - Loved Blue
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Remer by Nameeks NT09S02US Shower Column - REMER NT09S02US
$675.00 | Hayneedle
Thumbprintz Vintage Airplane Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
9' Octagon Market Royal Color Polyester Umbrella w/Hardwood Pole, Manual Lift, a
Fifthroom.com
Polished Chrome Whitehaus WHOSA29-8 141 8'' Bathroom Rain Shower Head
$249.00 | Blue Bath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™