Deadbolt won't open with Key

morgan13July 21, 2009

Hi All,

I had a new door installed with deadbolt lockset....about 5 months ago....it all worked fine until yesterday morning when I went to leave for work. The key would not operate the lock. Tried another key, same thing, no movement at all. With the door open the lock knob opens and closed the lock just fine but even with the door open the KEY will not operate the lock. What could have happened all of a sudden to cause this on a new lock? Guess I need to call a locksmith or should I try to deal with the warrantee on the lockset? Just so irritating....the only thing I can say that has been going on is temps near 100 degrees but have not read anything about heat affecting a lock, just cold. Any thoughts on how to fix myself?

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newhomeowner-2009

Have you tried lubricating it with WD-40? If that doesn't work, you can invoke the warranty.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 9:38AM
stash-hdy

WD40 will lub the lock but over time it will cause a gum up in the lock. Use graphite that is specifically for locks.
Take the lock back to where it was purchased and have it replaced under warranty, they can rekey the new lock to match the present key. You can also call the manufacturer and they can troubleshoot and may replace for you if required.

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 7:52AM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, If the key turns but the latch dosn't move I think the mechanical connection came loose. There is a piece of metal that goes from the key side of the lock through the latch and into the thumb handle on the inside side of the door. There is only one mechanical connection and that is on the key side, the rest of the metal slide into the rest of the parts. Gently take the lock off the door and look for the clip that came loose and put it back on.
Good Luck Woodbtcher

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 7:17PM
rocoyanna

if one can take out the lock, fine. but what if you are locked outside the door? how to take the deadbolt out in such a situation without access to the screws that hold the deabolt in place from the inside??
thanks to all.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 10:33AM
sdello

If you're locked outide the door then you shouldn't have access to the lock, otherwise it would be useless a security device. If you're stranded and can't get inside, I'd say it's time to call a locksmith.

If you get inside and can manually unlock the door and open it, then you should be able to remove the lock.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 1:51PM
unleashed.13

I caught my brother-in-law messing with the front door dead bolt. Now
The original key wont work.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Pork Chop Return (aka Mutton Chop)
Has anyone successfully changed a pork chop dormer...
betsy031799
What is this stove part called
Found this item in the oven, I know it came from the...
pegasus101
Andersen patio door repair
My 20-year old Anderson patio sliding glass door is...
daninthedirt
Pouring a new driveway
Hello everyone, first time poster. I'm ready to sign...
cin_ram1972
How to fix 1" gaps in drywall seams?
We recently bought our home (build in 1938). One of...
Bongo
Sponsored Products
Romano 58-inch Indoor/ Outdoor Hedyotis Triple Ball Topiary Tree
Overstock.com
Emerald Home Grand Rapids Lamp Table - Latte Oak - T3411-06
$252.92 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Transitional Rust
$39.97 | Home Depot
Melbourne Round Bar Table Cover - Sand
$379.50 | FRONTGATE
Blindsgalore Wood Alternative Blinds: 2 1/2-inch Slats
Blindsgalore