stuck on stage 2

musicteacherJuly 5, 2014

All I wanted to do was to remove the popcorn so I could paint my cabinets... and I have opened a can or worms. I just got all the popcorn off my kitchen ceiling, and most of it is easy - just a few nail holes or a place I scraped to be levelled off. But we have a soffit that runs over the cabinets and windows and it is a mess. How do I mud over that? Edges and inside corners.....is it even possible to make that look good? I thought about adding molding to the soffit, crown at the top an some narrow strip at the bottom, which might give me a firm corner to mud up to. ?
To add to the problem, the vertical parts are painted over wallpaper. There was no way to remove the wallpaper without taking the wallboard with it. It is not going anywhere. Anyway, that adds to the raggedy edge. I could slice it off with an exacto knife, but I know it wouldn't be even. What would you do with this mess? . Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

Get a bag of 20 minute mud and an assortment of drywall blades. Mix a little mud, fill, and by the time you're done, the mud where you started will be ready for sanding and another coat. Don't try to get it perfect the first time, just keep mudding thin and sanding and feathering until it's right.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 4:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
musicteacher

Thank you Trebuchet. "Don't try to get it perfect the first time"
That was the best advice ever. After 3 tries, it is "almost decent.". Could use another stab, but I just gave up and cleaned up all the mess everywhere. The little tiny places that are left shouldn't be too bad though.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
Siding advice for chimney
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice. Yesterday...
andreadeg
Big shelving project part 2
This is a follow up to this thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2604905/big-shelving-project This...
springcorn
Garage door wont open, no other way into garage
Hi all, I've a unique problem here. I had a problem...
wheelie
damp/ruined dry wall in window corners
I need help with a plan or how to for fixing and repairing...
betty_joanne
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™