Egg drop

andrewOctober 24, 2001

Help, I have to drop an egg from three storys up have it land on a target 20cm wide in a 100gram or less box/package without breaking. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaggyhill_yahoo_com

Use lots of straws, cotton balls, and tape.

Bookmark   October 24, 2001 at 9:07PM
sadiesmom

okay-- I CAN'T believe science teachers are still using this one. Haven't heard of having to hit a target, so at least thats a little twist. Andrew, I am a teacher and a former scientist so I will not tell you exactly how to do it but think: Since you are limited to only 100 grams of packaging, if the package hits the ground at a high enough velocity, no matter how well it is packed, the force will cause the egg to break, right? (I know I am oversimplifying here) Think: the clue here is velocity. Please let us know what you do and how it works.

Bookmark   October 25, 2001 at 2:03AM
someone_somewhere_org

Put the egg inside a box filled with bubble-wrap. It worked for me. Good Luck~

Bookmark   January 31, 2002 at 9:08PM
trekaren

Come on guys, Sadiesmom is on the right track. Don't give the answer! That defeats the whole purpose of the exercise!

Bookmark   February 1, 2002 at 8:02AM
talley_sue_nyc

another scientific principle governing impact damage is dispersing the force. For example, the outer frames of some cars are designed to sort of falls apart when hit, and the inner frame (or cab of the car) stays intact to protect to occupant; the force of the blow is carries in all directions through the outer frame instead of traveling in a direct line to the inner frame and to the people inside, and therefore the force is dissipated. Of course, you could total your car more easily, but YOU are safe.

Bookmark   February 1, 2002 at 10:02AM
Nancy_Cline

Have you considered using styrofoam to pack the egg in?
Nancy

Bookmark   February 2, 2002 at 2:08AM
oceanorange

velocity...hint hint...think of a feather...

Bookmark   February 17, 2002 at 6:47PM
Carlotta_Bull

This is great - my daughter got this assignment last week. We're going to start working on it this weekend.

Bookmark   February 19, 2002 at 10:37PM
MuscleCramp

I'm coming back later to find out the answer... I don't remember doing this in school. I'm sure I threw a few eggs though.

O:)

www.LiveNudeDogs.com ----)>

Bookmark   March 12, 2002 at 2:48PM
Redbone66

So what was the out come and what did you use?

Bookmark   March 26, 2002 at 5:57PM
Carlotta_Bull

My daughter ended up at district competition last Saturday. She placed 4th - out of the money, but I was VERY proud of her!

Each kid was given 2 styrofoam cups, a paper plate, 4 popcycle sticks, 2 playing cards, 2 straws, a baggie of popcorn, 4 paperclips, 12" yarn, a piece of aluminum foil, a small plastic trash bag & a rubber band. They were allowed to use one glue stick & had 30 minutes to construct their container.

Only 4 out of 50+ kids had their eggs break, which was surprising when you saw the speed on some of them when they came down! They were dropped from the ceiling of the basketball colisieum at our local college.

Bookmark   March 28, 2002 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Problems with th Institute of Reading Development
Problems with Institute of Reading Development Program? I...
momme
Just finished Egypt project! Whew
My son in 7th grade just finished is Egypt project....
laydeebug72
The Government Lies
All we hear is how bad America's Education is compared...
skipper1960
Troubling Preschool Teacher
Hello, My 4 year old goes to a preschool. She was sent...
bnew
Institute of Reading Development
I am looking into summer reading programs for my son....
Loretta NJ Z6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™