Need a new Mailbox and post--plastic?

jwats612July 9, 2008

I had a neighbor wipe out my mailbox, so must start over.

Does anyone have experience with the Rubbermaid variety

plastic boxes and post combinations? They will never

win a beauty contest, but they look durable and they are

inexpensive. I did notice the ratings at LOWE's are not

especially high, so there must be issues.

Two questions:

1. If you have a plastic one, how do you like it?

2. What are other recommendations? I don't need a top of the line expensive and showy one

thanks in advance

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turnage

I have a rubbermaid plastic box, but just replaced the plastic post and metal stake with a metal fence post. After about 5 years of being "kissed" by passing cars and trucks, the original metal stake was bent beyond repair. Surprisingly, the plastic mail box suffered no damage.

Also, the rubbermaid set comes with a carriage bolt and nut to mount the plastic post to the metal stake. Mine rusted so bad it was impossible to remove (the carriage bolt just turned in the plastic with no way to grip it with vise grips). I'd use a hex head bolt instead.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 5:59AM
rjoh878646

i have and a lot of the neighbors have step-2 mailboxes. They seem to hold up fairly well. The one I have has a extra slot for the ad bag they deliver by car. It has been out front for over 5 years, whacked into by a car a couple of times and it is still holding up.

Here is a link that might be useful: step-2 mailboxes

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 2:56PM
jerry_nj

Hum, my metal (galvanized?) has held up for about 15 years, with a minor repair or two. When it wears out, if ever, I'll give plastic a consideration, not.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:55PM
tommyjmcintosh

If you live on a service road or a farm to market road, the highway dept. will put a post up for you free.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 7:25PM
jenie16

I had a metal post and mailbox for years. Let's just say the years took its toll. I replaced it last year with the large plastic mailbox from Lowe's (with the extra slot on the bottom). Your right, it will not win a beauty contest, but I really like it. More room for the mail, no rust by the flag, and ,for me, most important, no dents suddenly appear.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 9:42AM
jwats612

Jenie
thanks so much for your response..I was looking at the
Georgian Manor box and post on the Lowe's site, but
surprised at the low consumer ratings--2.1--do you have
any idea why? Did you have any problems? Have others had
issues?
thanks in advance
John

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 10:45AM
jenie16

My mailbox it the same as the one rjon878646 had mentioned, Step2 Mailmaster. And as he also said, almost all my neighbors have the same also. So far, I have not seen one with damage, and many of them have sat out a lot longer than mine.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 1:35PM
JMRGF_aol_com

I have had the Rubbermaid Georgian Manor mailbox for about 7 years now and I do like it alot. It has looked really good until just recently when my husband backed his truck into it. The post is undamaged so I am now in the process of trying to replace the damaged parts, or I will repurchase the same mailbox combo.

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 10:45AM
driz

Here in The Rust Belt I find that the metal ones don't hold up very well with the road salt splashing on them. Give me the plastic any day. The thin black painted metal boxes don't seem to last more than a year or 2 around these parts.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 5:39AM
deedee-2008

I live where it snows alot, and we lost two mail boxes in five years due to the plows throwing the heavy, wet snow on them (both metal, both posts snapped). We have had the plastic Step2 box for seven years now, and it still looks great (black, with no fading). So put me in the "yes to plastic" column.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Painting exterior of house with cedar siding---what to expect
I am about to start getting estimates on having the...
sierrashopper
Roof leaking due to antique bricks? (X-post with Bldg a Home)
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
concrete over concrete?
I have filled the space under my front door threshold...
robinasq
Would patio foundation cracks affect the house foundation?
Hi i have a question and i hope that you can answer...
john2525
What type of wall is this and how do I fix it?
The bottom part of my closet interior wall is crumbling,...
sippy_spence
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™